Announcement

Epic for iOS and Android are live in the App Store and the Android Play Store. We're EpicBrowser on Twitter and on Facebook. Please feel free to also email our Founder directly with issues or questions: alok at hiddenreflex dot com

#1 2016-07-18 18:07:42

infodesk

Bitdefender, Imgur and Pocket.

First, Thanks for the great browser. It may not be perfect, but I like it and recommend it to everyone I know. So keep up the great work and keep protecting people's privacy.

Running a win 7 64-bit machine with a core i7, 2gb nvidia gpu and 8GB Ram. Have tried uninstalling and reinstalling Epic. Bit Defender 2016 and AntiMalware Bytes say the computer is clean of bad programs. Running Epic Version: 48.0.2553.0. The items below have persisted from version to version with no change in behavior.

Issues:

1. Pocket crashes on every use and I have to reload the extension after clicking "save to pocket." The web page does get saved, but extension crashes. 
2. Imgur and a few other popular websites will occasionally refuse to load images or a Gif on a page. They will just load indefinitely. Refresh does nothing, but I did find that if I right-click the tab and select duplicate then the image(s) will attempt to load on the new tab and show up as broken links. If I then hit refresh on the new tab the images will load. This issue comes and goes; sometimes not for days and others multiple times a day/browsing session(s).
3. I just updated my AV, Bitdefender, to the 2016 version with included anti-ransomware protection. Once I turned it on I keep getting notices that Epic privacy Browser.lnk is attempting to install a program, "setup.exe" from a randomly titled temp folder. I have added Epic and the Epic update .exe's to the safe program list but the notices persist up to 10 times a day. Each attempt comes from a new randomly generated temp folder. My first thought was malware, but Bit defender and Anti-Malwarebytes both say the machine is clean. Second thought was Epic attempting to update, but 10 times in one day from randomly generated folder titles?

Thanks

#2 2016-08-19 17:52:48

smalltowntx

Re: Bitdefender, Imgur and Pocket.

I recently updated my Bitdefender to Total Security 2016 with anti-Ransomeware, and now Epic crashes every time I access it. I uninstalled Epic, re-installed. No difference. Below is an error log.

Problem signature:
  Problem Event Name:    APPCRASH
  Application Name:    epic.exe
  Application Version:    48.0.2553.0
  Application Timestamp:    56cd53cc
  Fault Module Name:    YCWebCameraSource.ax
  Fault Module Version:    2.0.8320.3402
  Fault Module Timestamp:    4ac5ca7b
  Exception Code:    c0000005
  Exception Offset:    0000c9d8
  OS Version:    6.1.7601.2.1.0.768.3
  Locale ID:    1033
  Additional Information 1:    0a9e
  Additional Information 2:    0a9e372d3b4ad19135b953a78882e789
  Additional Information 3:    0a9e
  Additional Information 4:    0a9e372d3b4ad19135b953a78882e789

#3 2017-05-17 21:07:41

AngelQC

Hello there,

I have been experiencing the same issue with Epic Browser update manager and Bit Defender 2017 just recently.   I also think it's the anti-ransomware, given the mechanic where a service downloads and install a software with no interaction with the user.

I guess I will also see this with Chrome soon enough.

Is there a known issue on this topic, have you contacted Bit Defender in the past?

The major problem I see with this is the randomness of the temporary path, which cannot be whitelisted because it is random.  It can be, but next time the path will be different so it's no real use.  Unless I am mistaken somewhere.

thanks.

#4 2017-05-25 06:08:08

alok_epicteam
Administrator

Strange!  Yes, we do have issues with various a-v vendors from time to time.  We have gotten white-listed I believe from Bitdefender it the past.

Try whitelisting Epic's .exe file which is here:
in a Navigator window type %APPDATA%
then go to Local
then go to Epic Privacy Browser
then Epic.exe should be in the Application folder.
Whitelist that file...try to open that when you open Epic and see if you still have any issues.

#5 2018-02-03 16:09:32

AngelQC

The issue has resolved itself since then.

I think the problem was the randomness of the temporary folder in the update mechanic.  It either changed or BD now accepts whatever content is created by the updater.

Either ways, with Ransomware protection activated, the updates are installing themselves, without any manual white list addition.

I suggest, for anyone still experiencing this problem, to uninstall Epic, make sure the updating process is removed, and re-install Epic's latest version.  In case the updated sticks... 

It works fine now, and has been for months, I just forgot to come back and post!

Thanks for the good work, the product is.. Epic! big_smile

Board footer