Announcement

Epic for iOS and Android are live in the App Store and the Android Play Store. We're EpicBrowser on Twitter and on Facebook. Please feel free to also email our Founder directly with issues or questions: alok at hiddenreflex dot com

#1 2017-02-02 16:26:16

ZQ.igi

err_connection_failed and web install failure

I first installed Epic over 3 months ago. It launched upon install and seemed OK, so I closed it after a few minutes and shut down to go to bed. The next morning, every single thing timed out. Not a page would load, no matter where I went. I believe it was giving me the ERR_CONNECTION_FAILED message that Chrome uses by default when a site is offline (memory has faded over time). I know the entire internet didn't go offline because everything worked fine with other browsers.

But here was the main problem: even the settings pages timed out. You know, the ones where you configure your privacy settings, default search engines, addons and whatever else? Yeah, those. I don't understand how an internal browser settings page can possibly time out. Unless our settings are actually discretely stored on the epic website rather than with our browser install, this was obviously a browser problem.

So I uninstalled and reinstalled, but nothing changed. Then I uninstalled and decided to be more thorough. I searched the registry, and found quite a surprising load of entries related to the browser. After deleting those, I reinstalled again, but again nothing changed.

So I deleted everything and decided to try again later.

Later is now, and now that I've downloaded the setup file (the 1.7 MB one), it won't even connect to the internet. "Download Epic Failed. Retry in 5/10/20 second(s)." Then, for some reason, it shows "Installation Completed" next to a green checkmark icon after the string of failures, despite nothing being installed or even downloaded.

To that extent, is there any way this could be like pretty much every other browser, and download an actual install package rather than just a web connection application? Then I could at least install the thing to see if it still times out on everything. (I mean, seriously, timing out on the settings page?)

Misc: No out-of-browser blocking apps like ProtoWall or PeerBlock installed.

Any ideas?

Board footer