Announcement

Epic for iOS and Android are live in the App Store and the Android Play Store. We're EpicBrowser on Twitter and on Facebook. Please feel free to also email our Founder directly with issues or questions: alok at hiddenreflex dot com

#1 2013-11-19 12:05:27

Protection against viruses and sites containing malware.?

Having just downloaded the Epic browser and found it to be fast and efficient so far,I wonder if you could address a couple of concerns.
My other browser is Firefox on which I have Avast Antivirus plus Mcafee Site Blocker and WOT ,both of which protect against potential intruders.
Could you enlighten me as to what protection there is on the Epic Browser?
with thanks
Alanem1

#2 2013-12-10 08:20:44

sai

Re: Protection against viruses and sites containing malware.?

Hi Alanem1,

We as of now do not have any protection against any malware. We shall soon incorporate this feature.

#3 2014-01-08 09:38:12

this

E.g. it is really simple to incorporate the list from http://www.malwaredomains.com/

#4 2014-05-09 16:26:00

alok
Administrator

Thanks, great suggestion regarding malwaredomains.com  -- we're talking to other folks also about doing malware checking but in a private way.

The problem right now with Google Safebrowsing, McAfee, WOT and others is that you send every website you browse to their servers -- so you effectively trade your privacy for security.  We can not and won't do that -- so we're talking to them about providing this service but in a private way!!

#5 2014-07-16 10:05:23

this01

alok wrote:

Thanks, great suggestion regarding malwaredomains.com

Thanks, that is good to hear. So has there already been any effort to implement this simple blocklist technique?

#6 2014-07-17 15:38:15

sathi
Administrator

Not yet completely. We are trying to get this soon

#7 2014-08-20 14:23:40

JimTurney

Malware sites sometimes use JavaScript to do the dirty work. I use Firefox with the the NoScript extension for general browsing so I can approve or deny scripts to run individually and on a case basis. http://NoScript.net

Can Epic implement a similar functionality?

Btw, I do like and use Epic as well throughout each day, for browsing well-known sites to block the tracking, but I still approve each connection any browser makes to any server.

#8 2014-08-23 06:24:06

alok
Administrator

In Epic's settings then privacy then content then javascript, you can turn javascript off and add exceptions. 

We've actually have been experimenting with a white-list approach and would love feedback or user thoughts on this -- no one to our knowledge has implemented it yet. 

The problem with blacklists is that so so many malicious websites are added everyday that they're impossible to keep up with.  So we feel that a system where we whitelist the most visited websites and then give warnings for non-white-listed sites could be much stronger. 

We hope to have more resources to address and actually more fully prototype our ideas -- but in the meantime it would be great to hear everyone's thoughts and suggestions.

Board footer