Announcement

Epic for iOS and Android are live in the App Store and the Android Play Store. We're EpicBrowser on Twitter and on Facebook. Please feel free to also email our Founder directly with issues or questions: alok at hiddenreflex dot com

#1 2013-12-23 19:38:46

Kiki

Windows 7 64 bit: does not work with Epic Browser

I have installed EB on my laptop with Win 7 64 bit. Installation was not easy, I had to use compatibility mode (win xp SP3) to get it installed.

But now I can't use it. It starts (again: compatibility mode win xp sp3), but it does not load a single page. I tried to re-install it after a week (perhaps a new update?) but still nothing.

Is there a solution to make it work?

#2 2013-12-25 21:02:38

johnswolter

Re: Windows 7 64 bit: does not work with Epic Browser

KiKi, 

I'm a user of the Windows 7 64-bit Epic.  I found the standard install worked. I use it everyday for those web services I want added security. 

When install & operational problems arise with new software there is a typical set of things to consider.

- Uninstall all prior versions of the program you are installing.  Most will allow the settings and other information to be preserved.  Not all uninstallers will be so kind.  It may be required you remove prior Registery entries manually.  Most users don't know how to do this.

- Use System Backup/Restore to save a Restore Point prior to installing.  If the install fails or has other problems you will then have options to go back to where you started. This takes much less time than a full backup.

-  If the information on the computer is very important, always make a complete image backup as opposed to a file by file backup.

- Stop all programs running on the desktop.

- Check and be sure the Microsoft Installer is not already running.  When retrying installs it is possible a prior install attempt leaves a running program's dialog window running behind the one you see.  The other similar item is the Control Panel's Program and Features panel.  Just close that out.  Sometimes a complete restart is needed to shutdown a running installer.

- Try to exit any programs that are running as Desktop programs but in background or minimized to the Tray.  I use an extended Copy/Paste Clipboard program Ditto for example.  Others include weather bugs, social network access, EMail notifiers, remote desktop access, pre-loaded software like Office, and non-stop backup software like Acronis One-Click backup.  I've had to go to the Services management panel to shutdown some programs.  That may be more than you want to do.

- Epic Browser requires being connected to the Internet for the install to work.  I dislike this practice but it is  becoming more common.  It appears to me to be a security violation in today's Internet.  I don't see any savings in download costs.

- Turn off or disable all anti-virus software, ad-control software, etc.  The firewall on rare occasions may be required to be turned off.  Try the install before you do that.

-  Turn off accessibility options and specifically the on-screen keyboard.  Obviously that's not possible on a tablet.

- Run the installer and then it should work without having to fiddle around.  The point of installers is to have an easy install.  If there is a problem then report it to the developers.

Cheers, JSW

#3 2013-12-26 19:53:24

Kiki

Re: Windows 7 64 bit: does not work with Epic Browser

Thanks for the answer. Well, turning of my firewall/AV did allow it to install without compatibility mode. Thanks.

Unfortunately, I'm as far as at the beginning of the topic: not a single page does load. I type in an URL, nothing happens, not even a message whether my internet connection is down (it isn't) or a classical 404 (the URL's aren't broken). With or without firewall/AV...

So if someone has other suggestions: feel free...

Board footer