Announcement

Epic for iOS and Android are live in the App Store and the Android Play Store. We're EpicBrowser on Twitter and on Facebook. Please feel free to also email our Founder directly with issues or questions: alok at hiddenreflex dot com

#1 2013-09-19 01:28:08

accurateweb

Task Bar Pinning

The program keeps pinning itself to the task bar even after I remove it. It happens randomly and every time I restart my system.

#2 2013-09-19 06:02:46

alok
Administrator

Re: Task Bar Pinning

Hi!  We're getting this complaint from several but haven't been able to reproduce this repinning behavior. 

We didn't change any behavior here, and it seems like Chrome by default pins to your taskbar.  You can unpin via right-click on the Epic icon.   

After you unpin it, though, it should repin itself.  We've been restarting systems, etc. - but haven't experienced the repinning yet.  Not sure what's going on.   

Just to be totally sure, the icon is getting pinned, not just showing up when Epic is open? 
Any idea what may be triggering the repin?  It sounds like "no" when you say it's random?
Does this happen with Chrome or chromium for you? 
What OS are you on? 

Thanks for your help - we're working to fix this!!

#3 2013-09-19 06:19:41

derpette

I registered to say this is happening to me too.  Definitely not using the browser.  I installed it but haven't used it!  It's pretty annoying to have it always stuck to the task bar as I like my task bar to be nice and clear.  Windows 8.

#4 2013-09-19 14:46:00

sai

Can you tell us your system configuration, we tried to reproduce this bug, but we could not produce this.

#5 2013-09-19 16:19:57

accurateweb

It absolutely happens randomly while the system is in use but when the browser is not. It also happens every time I restart the system or log off then back on. Chrome does not exhibit this behavior.

I'm running Win7 Ultimate 64 Bit SP 1 (and all current Updates), Core 2 Duo E6750, 6GB RAM.

#6 2013-09-19 20:50:47

alok
Administrator

Thanks for the details!  Strange as we're not able to reproduce the repinning, but we have an idea why it's happening.

Epic on close deletes *everything*.  Chromium's default behavior on install is to pin to taskbar.  We suspect that we're deleting some preference file which resets Epic to think it's just been installed and thus re-pin.  We actually think we have found a possible file/culprit, but it's proving a little more difficult to correct (everything in chromium is much more difficult than you would think) - but should be fixed in an update soon!! 

As you have any ideas on possible triggers of the repinning, please do share it here - thanks as always for your support & reporting this bug!!

#7 2013-09-19 23:12:05

OSpencerO

I posted about this issue here... http://forum.epicbrowser.com/viewtopic.php?pid=547#p547
I didn't know this thread existed at the time and I don't know which thread is supposed to be the official thread for this issue.

I made a file with my detailed system information and put a link to the file in my other post.

I feel like right now the kinks just need to be worked out a little bit but Epic Privacy Browser will be very popular in the future.
As a programmer I've worked on many projects and even though they were all related to audio, video or gaming they all had plenty of kinks that needed to be worked out in the beginning.
I'm just glad to be one of the first people to be able to try Epic Privacy Browser out.

BTW, The only known similarities between my computer and accurateweb's computer is the operating system.

Thank You,

Spencer

#8 2013-09-20 11:17:28

Zemran

I have removed Epic because it keeps replacing the desktop icon after I delete it.  I only have current work on my desktop and like to keep it clear of all other distractions.  If you can sort out this problem I would like to try Epic again.

Regards

#9 2013-09-20 19:02:54

alok
Administrator

@OSPencerO Thanks so much for your support & the details.  We're working on it.  Not sure why we're not able to reproduce it and the preference files we've found don't seem to be getting deleted.  So it's a bit mysterious...but should be figured out soon we hope.  Thanks as always!
@Zemran We're working on it.  Will be fixed soon.

#10 2013-09-28 16:39:26

accurateweb

I saw on another thread about the desktop shortcut being re-created (I noticed that on my machine too) that the problem seems to lie with 64 bit Windows installs. Any further news?

#11 2013-09-30 08:13:15

sai

Yes, we were able to reproduce this bug and fixed it, we shall give an update soon.

#12 2013-09-30 16:21:00

accurateweb

Fantastic! Looking forward to it. Thanks.

#13 2013-10-16 16:13:59

alok
Administrator

Sorry for the late update.  We're having trouble sending out the fix for this to old users - this is because we have to update your updater which is actually proving to be difficult!!  Nothing in chromium is easy!

We know this issue irritating, so we'd recommend old users to uninstall your current Epic & install Epic afresh.  In the Epic menu, the bottom-most option is to Uninstall Epic.  Just choose that & it uninstalls Epic in a flash.  Then download Epic & re-install.  If you get any errors while re-installing Epic, please "Ignore" them.  Epic should be fine.  Chromium's uninstall is not very clean (no idea why???...we're working to fix this) so sometimes errors come up.

#14 2013-10-25 11:35:41

sai

Hi all, Please download the latest Epic and this problem has been fixed.  Looking forward for your feedback on this issue.

#15 2013-10-28 11:27:17

derpette

I had started calling Epic Browser "scumbag browser" lol  A privacy browser that forces itself, front and centre, onto your task bar AND desktop. 

BUT, reinstalling seems to have fixed it.  Been 10 minutes and it hasn't pinned itself anywhere! 

All in good fun, I think it's awesome, which is why I hadn't ininstalled it permanently.

#16 2013-10-28 14:13:04

sai

Hi derpette, this bug has been removed, please clear browser cache and download the latest version. It works

#17 2013-12-30 00:54:24

Hi,

installed Epic just a few days ago (Mac OS 10.9), tried to live without flash which is fine with Safari (html5) but after all there are too many pages requiring flash. But I do not want Adobe Flash installed on my system, I prefere a solution as in Chrome (which I kicked immediately after installation).

So, its necessary to un- and reinstall Epic but this time I must enable the Flash-plugin (which I did not notice the first time)?

Best regards,
Steve J.

Board footer