Announcement

Epic for iOS and Android are live in the App Store and the Android Play Store. We're EpicBrowser on Twitter and on Facebook. Please feel free to also email our Founder directly with issues or questions: alok at hiddenreflex dot com

#1 2014-04-09 05:02:32

winterweaver

Why do I have adware in Epic on my Mac?

I am seeing adware in Epic on my Macbook Pro Retina 13-inch. See the screenshot below. It shows up intermittently on various websites. I ran a Sophos anti-virus scan and no issues were detected. I like Epic and I want to keep using it, but I need to resolve this issue. I went to chrome://extensions to see if the adware is an extension, but Epic says extensions are disallowed, so I'm not sure how to proceed to fix this problem.

I used the Inspector to get the HTML of the ad, which I'm going to post separately below because the forum would not allow me to use more than one link in this post.

28qyejs.jpg

#2 2014-04-09 07:45:09

sai

Re: Why do I have adware in Epic on my Mac?

Hi Winterweaver,

We also noticed this issue. We are working on this, please give us sometime to resolve this issue.

Thank You
Sai

#3 2014-04-15 21:51:01

winterweaver

I would like to better understand the technical cause of this issue. Can you share some information or even speculation about how Epic was originally breached by this adware? So that I can feel comfortable continuing to use Epic I would like to better understand any relevant security problems with Epic, past or present. I want to continue trusting your released builds, but I need more information to do so.

#4 2014-04-17 12:17:12

alok
Administrator

Sorry the issue is that our proxy is powered by Spotflux and they have started showing ads to some users, and they accidentally came up for our users as well!! 

If it happens again, let us know!! 

Technically, what Spotflux would do by the way is while relaying the webpage back to you, they'd put in an ad.  They strongly respect privacy (or we wouldn't work with them). 

We're now paying them which is why there should never be any ads!   

I hope that helps and that you feel comfortable with Epic.

We're always here to help and to protect your privacy!!!!

Board footer