Announcement

Epic for iOS and Android are live in the App Store and the Android Play Store. We're EpicBrowser on Twitter and on Facebook. Please feel free to also email our Founder directly with issues or questions: alok at hiddenreflex dot com

#1 2015-09-11 15:21:20

Jmpear.j

No web caching?

Dear Epic Browser,

Hello.  I'm relatively new to computing, and like everyone else fumbling my way through these privacy issues.  I like the new browser but I have a concern, please indulge my ignorance:

It was my understanding that epic does not cache web pages.  To a dummy like me that means no trace of what I've viewed ANYWHERE in my computer.  But I experimented with RECUVA, a file recovery program that I'm sure you've heard of.  I ran Epic (yeah!)  and peaked at a slew of cow pictures<cough>and then closed the browser. Then I ran Recuva and guess what I found?  A whole bunch of cow pictures!  Boooooo!  I mean, MOOOOOO!  smile  Anyway, I repeated this 3rd grade experiment several times and I'll be darned, all my viewed pics pop up in Recuva.

Are there any smart people in here that can tell me WHERE and WHY this browser data is stored and how I can prevent or delete it after each session?

#2 2016-01-09 00:16:04

alok_epicteam
Administrator

Re: No web caching?

Not exactly sure what happened but there are a few possibilities.

Epic deletes images/cached data on close.  So if Epic is open, it has images/data because it needs all that to display the webpages!

If Epic is closed and you're able to recover the images and such, what's happened is that even though Epic has "deleted" the data, the data has not been over-written so that the files are still recoverable. 

It would be ideal if Epic over-wrote the data on close so that it would be more permanently gone...we would like to do that.

#3 2016-02-21 15:42:47

Has there been any update on this issue?

Basically, if these files are RECUVAable then it's NOT private browsing AT ALL!!

The ideal solution would be for EPIC to overwrite the temporary files/images/pages/register entries etc. as the browser closes.  Until such a solution (or similar) is put in place can I suggest an easy and reasonable INTERIM solution.

CCleaner is widely used and FREE - it is designed to erase temporary files of this nature.  CCleaner default configuration is designed to eliminate the digital trail left on your PC by browsers such as Internet Explorer, Firefox, Opera.....(maybe one or two others).    However the product is configurable and can be set up to work with OTHER applications including browsers.

Can I suggest the good folks at EPIC take a look at the following link:
https://www.piriform.com/docs/ccleaner/ … r-to-clean

Simply post a bespoke solution (code & simple user guide) on this site to explain how EPIC can be made to work with CCleaner so that digital trail identified by the OP can be eradicated.  You guys know exactly where your temporary files and registry entries are recorded after the browser closes.  So it should be a fairly straight forward task and it will  help to make EPIC the private browser you claim it to be.

Of course we all look forward to a wholly EPIC solution to this issue......but in the interim......how about the above?

#4 2016-02-21 15:45:53

Basically, if these files are RECUVAable then it's NOT private browsing AT ALL!!

The ideal solution would be for EPIC to overwrite the temporary files/images/pages/register entries etc. as the browser closes.  Until such a solution (or similar) is put in place can I suggest an easy and reasonable INTERIM solution.

CCleaner is widely used and FREE - it is designed to erase temporary files of this nature.  CCleaner default configuration is designed to eliminate the digital trail left on your PC by browsers such as Internet Explorer, Firefox, Opera.....(maybe one or two others).    However the product is configurable and can be set up to work with OTHER applications including browsers.

Simply post a bespoke solution (code & simple user guide) on this site to explain how EPIC can be made to work with CCleaner so that digital trail identified by the OP can be eradicated.  You guys know exactly where your temporary files and registry entries are recorded after the browser closes.  So it should be a fairly straight forward task and it will  help to make EPIC the private browser you claim it to be.

Of course we all look forward to a wholly EPIC solution to this issue......but in the interim......how about the above?

#5 2016-02-22 13:00:31

#6 2016-03-05 00:44:11

Brown Pole

How about Glary Utilities. They do a good job of cleaning. Just before you shut down your laptop or PC click on Glary Utilities icon. You'll see a long list of files coming up. Click the clean button. Gone!

#7 2016-03-17 13:27:53

dorthypersud

Any Solution for web cashing???

Board footer