Announcement

Epic for iOS and Android are live in the App Store and the Android Play Store. We're EpicBrowser on Twitter and on Facebook. Please feel free to also email our Founder directly with issues or questions: alok at hiddenreflex dot com

#1 2016-06-18 00:20:08

marinnen128

Netflix requires Silverlight plugin to play movies in Epic browser?!

I've just installed Epic version 49.0.2575.1 on my MacBook Pro running Mountain Lion (10.8.5) to evaluate its viability as a secure private browser alternative. As a test, I logged into Netflix and, to my surprise, got a message that Silverlight is required for playback. Has anyone else run into this problem? I searched this forum but couldn't find anything similar.

I know that this problem originated when Google removed support for Silverlight plugin at the beginning of 2015. However, I also remember reading somewhere that Netflix was moving away from Silverlight and was about to replace this requirement by adding HTML5 support.

Following up on this, I found the following on the Netflix help pages:
>>
Netflix system requirements for HTML5 Player and Silverlight

You can use our HTML5 player or Silverlight to watch Netflix movies and TV shows on PCs running Windows XP or later, and Intel-based Macs running OS X Tiger (v10.4.11) or later. You'll find a complete list of requirements below for HTML5, Silverlight 4, and Silverlight 5.
<<
and, below that, the following requirement for Netflix HTML5 support:
>>
Supported Browsers:
Google Chrome version 37 or later on Windows XP Service Pack 2 or later and Mac OS X 10.6 or later (Snow Leopard)
<<

I don't know what's the relation between the Epic version number (49 above), Chromium version number (is it the same, i.e. 49?), and the corresponding Chrome version (is it the same, i.e. 49?). Depending on the answer, there are following possibilities:

1) If they are all the same, the above info from the Netflix Help pages would imply that I should not have this problem and yet I do. Why? Any solution?

2) If they are not the same, perhaps this version of Epic is based on a Chromium version that corresponds to an earlier version of Chrome, i.e. older than Chrome version 37? If so, that would explain why I am having this problem? If not, why am I having it? Either way, is there a way to avoid it that would allow me to watch Netflix in Epic browser in my OS environment?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

#2 2016-08-15 05:50:24

alok_epicteam
Administrator

Re: Netflix requires Silverlight plugin to play movies in Epic browser?!

Netflix on Chromium-based browsers actually requires Widevine which Google owns and refuses to give us.  We used to have a hack to get Netflix to use Silverlight but Google stopped Silverlight support in Chromium.  SO unfortunately Netflix does not play videos in Epic for Mac.  One can still play videos in Netflix in Epic for Windows after installing the IE Tab extension.

Board footer