Announcement

Epic for iOS and Android are live in the App Store and the Android Play Store. We're EpicBrowser on Twitter and on Facebook. Please feel free to also email our Founder directly with issues or questions: alok at hiddenreflex dot com

#1 2017-05-21 03:54:39

pjl

Unable to uninstall Epic Privacy Browser

I have used the Windows uninstall tool, Revo uninstaller and 10Bit uninstaller and they all hang and do nothing. The uninstall program built into Epic does nothing either, it appears to be empty which is likely why no uninstaller will remove it.

Is there any way to uninstall this program? I have used it for months and it worked near perfectly but it now appears broken. I would like to uninstall it and attempt another install but I am unable to do so

Thanks in advance for any help.

Windows 10 1703, latest build.

#2 2017-05-25 04:27:02

alok_epicteam
Administrator

Re: Unable to uninstall Epic Privacy Browser

Yes, this is related to an issue in Win10 for Epic in some systems.  The Epic uninstaller popup won't show.

To solve this, go into Epic's settings, click on Advanced options, then at the bottom disable "hardware acceleration" (uncheck it). 

Then try uninstalling via Windows remove programs.  Then the Epic uninstall popup should come up.

If this doesn't work, then you could go to %APPDATA% then to Local, then delete the Epic Privacy Browser folder...but that's not the ideal route.

#3 2017-05-31 01:07:40

jackbackband

alok_epicteam wrote:

Yes, this is related to an issue in Win10 for Epic in some systems.  The Epic uninstaller popup won't show.

To solve this, go into Epic's settings, click on Advanced options, then at the bottom disable "hardware acceleration" (uncheck it). 

Then try uninstalling via Windows remove programs.  Then the Epic uninstall popup should come up.

If this doesn't work, then you could go to %APPDATA% then to Local, then delete the Epic Privacy Browser folder...but that's not the ideal route.

I have finally managed to uninstall Epic thaank you. If something is this difficult to uninstall then it isn't user friendly. It runs in the background all the time why?

#4 2017-06-03 00:33:27

alok_epicteam
Administrator

Epic uses a silent installer, that's why it runs all the time.  That's how the Omaha installer (also used for Chrome) works.  It's checking for updates. 

The standard uninstall popup should be coming up now with hardware acceleration disabled.  It was a strange issue related to Windows 10.

#5 2017-06-30 23:13:10

flaburthe

I am still unable to uninstall it on WIN 10, even with HW acceleration disabled. Not sure what else to do... Any suggestions?
Thanks !

#6 2017-07-08 04:26:43

alok_epicteam
Administrator

In the worse case, you can manually uninstall Epic by closing any processes in the task manager, then go to %LOCALAPPDATA% then deleting the Epic Privacy Browser Folder.  There's still some other minor data on your system like in the registry you can delete if you like, but the actual application and all related data are in the Epic Privacy Browser folder in the Local App Data.

Board footer