Announcement

Epic for iOS and Android are live in the App Store and the Android Play Store. We're EpicBrowser on Twitter and on Facebook. Please feel free to also email our Founder directly with issues or questions: alok at hiddenreflex dot com

#1 2017-06-05 22:21:03

kaisaryamin

Add custom Search method

Can epic browser add a custom search method option like bing or google instead of having epic search as the only search method I donated money couple of days ago let me know if you guys can update that thanks :)

#2 2017-06-08 09:24:11

alok_epicteam
Administrator

Re: Add custom Search method

We only want to allow built into the product totally transparent, private search engines...so that you're protected in the product.  To date, the only true private search engine in the world is epicsearch.in to our knowledge.  You can always type g or b...or via epicsearch go to google/bing, but it's best to first try epicsearch even though our results could sometimes be better (we're working on this!).

#3 2017-10-31 03:01:48

wlb123

epicsearch.in is absolutely terrible. The search results make no sense whatsoever. A simple search for a local business pulls up personal blogs and a whole bunch of dead/defective links on the first page of results, while not returning the page I was looking for! The exact same search on every other search engine returns the desired page as the top hit.

I understand your reticence to make it seem like you are endorsing a company you aren't sure about, but if I can't use your browser for a simple website search then I'm just going to use a non-recommended search browser (or, an alternative browser altogether!). Ineffective searches are a dealbreaker!

Put in as many warnings and caveats and click-throughs that you need to make it clear to users that you do not endorse alternative search engines, but don't make it impossible for people to change this setting.

#4 2018-02-11 04:49:41

ciarraic

What about DuckDuckGo?  Are they not established enough?  Thanks!

#5 2018-03-26 23:49:13

alok_epicteam
Administrator

We're working on better search options!  Unfortunately we have talked to and are unable to trust other so-called "private search engines".  If you care about private search, there's only true option, epicsearch.in to our knowledge at present.

#6 2018-05-03 04:44:13

METALHEAD

I would use this as my only browser choice IF and only IF I could use google search in the URL.

Another icing on the cake would be an option to disable the warning when closing the browser with multiple tabs open.

Keep up the great work people!

#7 2018-05-03 07:40:30

It's fairly easy to change Epic to use DuckDuckGo as your default search engine (when you search from the omni bar).

These instructions are for Mac version 63.0.3239.108. I'm sure it's possible in Windows too.

1. Download a hex editor. I used iHex.
2. Open the Applications folder in Finder
3. Right-click on Epic.app and select Show Package Contents
4. Go to Contents/Versions/<version>/Epic Framework.framework/Versions/A/
5. Right-click on Epic Framework and select Open With.../Other... and select your hex editor
6. Search for: pno=
7. Replace:

//epicsearch.in/search?pno=1&q=

With:

//duckduckgo.com/?g=12323423&q=

8. Save, close and reopen Epic.

Note that the g=12323423 in the replacement url is simply to make it the same length as the original. It's important that the replacement string is exactly the same length.

DuckDuckGo is now your default search engine!

#8 2018-07-01 09:54:35

cardholm2002

Dear EPIC team. I have the perfect solution for you to replace the (sadly ineffective) Epic search engine. It is a dutch service that is as highly focused on privacy as tourselves and they have independent thrid party auditors to review and assure the privacy rights of their users - both technically and legally.

please check it out at https://www.startpage.com/

They allow you to set your own search rules without coockies (genereting a unique URL instead and also automatically offers the user a proxy-protected link to search results...

I have used them for years (and was inviolved in the creation of the auditing body), so I am only promoting this because I know the underlying requirements that need to be met.

Thanks for validating my suggestion /L

#9 2018-07-14 18:11:06

Sveika

I want duckduckgo for a default search engine. The epic search engine gives bizarre results in an unpleasing format. Your FAQ says something about earning money from our use of the epic search engine, but I'd much rather pay a fee directly to get a version of Epic that allows customization of search engine and speed dial. Good software shouldn't insist on crippling my work.

#10 2018-09-04 21:49:01

johan0952

could the admin please explain why you don't let the users choose their own search engine. Even if google or whatever isn't good at privacy, why not let us decide which one to use? Is it so that you can provide your sponsors with value for their investment? This is a quote from epic's own sponsor page: "Epic has hundreds of thousands of users who generate tens of millions of search and new tab page views every month in which your product or service can be featured. "

#11 2018-09-18 00:58:05

John_3_16

I use Startpage Web Search. I see we are locked out of setting up a default search engine in Epic. I have replaced G-Chrome browser with Epic.

You can set up the pages that start when you start Epic. I have already done this. Startpage Search USA, Startpage Search Euro, Hotmail.com, GMail.com, Yahoomail.com & TitanTV. These are my start pages. I close the GMail & Yahoomail after checking for new mail. Hotmail is my main & remains open. I can search over & over using my search engine protected by Epic browser page.

It is quite easy. Obtain your search engine's URL. Add it to Settings start page window. Works for anything with a URL.

I agree. Epic default is very limited & strange.

Good luck & God bless.

#12 2018-09-20 04:40:17

alok_epicteam
Administrator

Epic includes only highly trusted, privacy-protecting services in it by default so that we can provide an extremely high level of privacy.  Epicsearch.in is by far the world's most private search engine at present so it's ideal to use it initially for any searches. 

You can always add bookmarks or dials for other websites you choose to use.

Board footer