Announcement

Epic for iOS and Android are live in the App Store and the Android Play Store. We're EpicBrowser on Twitter and on Facebook. Please feel free to also email our Founder directly with issues or questions: alok at hiddenreflex dot com

#1 2013-09-27 19:39:57

Only ONE proxy address...???

You've got to be kidding me! Epic uses only ONE proxy address! And that particular proxy address is well-known to many SysAdmins and forum Mods. So if they ban that sole proxy address there is no way to access that website again using Epic.

Epic ought to have a rotating 'bank' of proxy addresses – hundreds of them! – which auto-selects a different proxy every time you restart Epic. Exactly like Torbrowser does (https://www.torproject.org/projects/torbrowser.html.en).

If Epic doesn't get a 'bank' of rotating proxy addresses it does NOT enable me to freely surf the web incognito. And wasn't that exactly the point of Epic...?

Last edited by rokcetscientist (2013-09-27 20:29:12)

#2 2013-09-27 23:58:28

alok
Administrator

Re: Only ONE proxy address...???

Epic's proxy provides a way to hide your actual IP - the more people using one address, the harder it is to track anyone.  It is being rotated, but not that often.  We're working with our proxy provider Spotflux to offer many more IPs that rotate.  As Epic grows, it will happen.

#3 2013-09-28 01:57:23

alok wrote:

the more people using one address,

the more people (Epic users) can't access websites that block that address...

the harder it is to track anyone.

So they block everyone using that address! ALL Epic users!

It is being rotated, but not that often.

Yeah, right. Not in the last 2 weeks it hasn't!

We're working with our proxy provider Spotflux to offer many more IPs that rotate.  As Epic grows, it will happen.

That sounds awfully like 'mañana'...

But until that day Epic unfortunately does NOT fulfill its promise of free incognito browsing! Yet. The 'incognito' part works, if a little obviously to website 'administrators'. But consequently the 'browsing' part is not so hot, i.e. practical.

Last edited by rokcetscientist (2013-09-28 03:03:17)

#4 2013-09-30 23:04:33

alok
Administrator

A long journey starts with a single step.  The IP just changed a few days ago - should rotate more frequently and we hope to get some more.  Unfortunately there may already be some abuse going on hence your problems with some sites.  We're working on improving everything - thanks for your support & keep pushing us to do better!

#5 2013-10-01 01:45:24

Wish we could all afford to be as philosophical about it as you are, Alok.

Meanwhile: if ONE Epic user gets blocked from a website, ALL Epic users get blocked from that website. That adds up quickly.
That's a BIG real life problem, Alok. Epic's survival depends on it.

Last edited by rokcetscientist (2013-10-01 01:46:51)

#6 2013-10-01 03:42:25

alok
Administrator

Buy VPN access or use TOR or try our partner Spotflux's service if you're very concerned for now. 

We would *love* to provide high quality VPN service for all hundred thousand+ users - it would cost approximately 1 million USD/euros at this point to offer that for free for a year -- and that's just for our current users! 

We're focused on more privacy in the browser right now than at the network level for the present.

#7 2013-10-02 19:50:25

alok wrote:

We're focused on more privacy in the browser right now than at the network level for the present.

IRL that means that if ONE Epic user gets blocked from accessing a particular website then ALL Epic users – including you – are immediately also blocked from accessing that particular website. I.o.w. the internet will effectively and inevitably be shrinking for Epic users. Every day more and more websites will become inaccessible to them if you don't solve the single proxy problem. Fast!

Last edited by rokcetscientist (2013-10-02 19:52:40)

#8 2013-10-14 05:19:21

Zatris

While I may agree with the OP, your responses alok are weak and condescending and vague. Maybe your big brother should do the responding instead?

"Red Warrior needs food badly!"

#9 2013-10-15 21:19:00

alok
Administrator

Sorry you didn't like my responses.  Please avoid any personal remarks, attacks, or insults in the forum.  Keep all responses related to the topic.  All of us on the Epic team are doing our best & if you don't want to be a member of our community, you're under no compunction to do so.

Board footer