Announcement

Epic for iOS and Android are live in the App Store and the Android Play Store. We're EpicBrowser on Twitter and on Facebook. Please feel free to also email our Founder directly with issues or questions: alok at hiddenreflex dot com

#1 2013-09-22 16:01:48

Lavid-Dynch

Epic Creating Desktop Shortcut

When I close Epic or restart my computer, I notice that there is a shortcut on my desktop. I have maybe a dozen, and more I've emptied out of the recycling bin, of deleted shortcuts in my recycling bin. How do I stop Epic from making these shortcuts on my desktop?

#2 2013-09-22 17:08:35

fauxwire

Re: Epic Creating Desktop Shortcut

There was already a thread on this issue but it seems to have disappeared.  Even when I changed my default browser from Epic back to IE the desktop icon still pops up.  Haven't been able to determine what triggers it as it doesn't happen at boot-up or when you start a browser or close it.  It seems whenever I have a window full-screen for a while ... when I close it there is the Epic desktop icon again.

#3 2013-09-22 22:22:34

alok
Administrator

No threads have been deleted...so it should be somewhere.

Sorry about this problem - we're working on it.  We're unable to reproduce it and the files we've found that seem control making shortcuts for chromium we're not changing. 

We hope to have it solved soon. 

We didn't purposefully change any of the default Chromium settings - chromium on-install pins and creates a shortcut so we suspect on close of Epic we're somehow deleting some preference which chromium uses to know not to create such.  Working with chromium is challenging (nothing's ever simple to correct)!! 

Sorry about that & thanks for your patience.  Will be solved we hope in the next 72 hours or less. 

Any more details on triggers of this - please share.  Thanks as always for your support & feedback & bug-reporting!!

#4 2013-09-23 02:16:06

greg.bell

Nothing to add, other than it’s happening on my Windows system too. It doesn’t occur on the Mac version.

#5 2013-09-24 21:54:45

alok
Administrator

Thanks Greg!!

We've been making some progress on this problem and are working to solve it.  Looks like it happens on Windows 64 bit machines.  It's also something happening in Omaha, the installer/updater usually used with chromium.  We didn't change anything there so not sure why it's happening, but we hope to have a fix for it tomorrow.

#6 2013-10-17 13:07:56

Nathan_Hale

I'm still dealing with this as well. I have uninstalled and installed anew from the current program link on your site.

win64

#7 2013-10-18 20:20:38

edaily

I'm assuming there hasn't been a fix for this yet. ?  It's happening on my machine.  I would echo what you said about Win 64bit, mine is.

OS Name                       Microsoft Windows 7 Enterprise
Version                       6.1.7601 Service Pack 1 Build 7601
OS Manufacturer       Microsoft Corporation
System Manufacturer  Hewlett-Packard
System Model               HP Pavilion dv7 Notebook PC
System Type               x64-based PC
Processor    Intel(R)       Core(TM)2 Duo CPU     P7550  @ 2.26GHz, 2266 Mhz, 2 Core(s), 2 Logical Processor(s)
BIOS Version/Date       Hewlett-Packard F.41, 11/12/2009
SMBIOS Version       2.6
Hardware Abstraction Layer    Version = "6.1.7601.17514"
Time Zone    Eastern Daylight Time
Installed Physical (RAM)       4.00 GB
Total Physical Memory       3.97 GB
Available Physical Memory  1.07 GB
Total Virtual Memory       7.93 GB
Available Virtual Memory       4.54 GB
Page File Space               3.97 GB
Page File    C:\pagefile.sys

#8 2013-10-20 00:37:35

I have the opposite problem--Epic won't create a shortcut on my desktop and I have installed it twice! I don't know what the problem is.

#9 2013-10-25 11:26:03

sai

Hi nightwisp1957, can you tell me what is the version of the Epic you are using

#10 2013-11-21 15:00:33

Huntington68

I'm experiencing a similar situation that I've just noticed.  Just did a reinstall of Windows on my machine a couple weeks ago, installed Epic, decided the desktop shortcut was redundant to having it on the toolbar.  Went about my business...

Notice the desktop shortcut is back.  Hmmmm...maybe an update?  Delete it.
It returns.
Delete it.
It returns.
Rinse and repeat.

Haven't drilled down enough to see if it only happens when I reboot the machine or if it happens while I've still got it running.

A few specs:
                Operating System
            Windows 7 Professional 64-bit SP1
        CPU
            Intel Core i7 3820 @ 3.60GHz
            Sandy Bridge-E 32nm Technology
        RAM
            16.0GB DDR3
        Motherboard
            ASUSTeK COMPUTER INC. SABERTOOTH X79 (LGA2011)

Let me know if you need any other information.  It's not a huge problem, but I do consider it an inconvenient annoyance.

Best,
Hunt

#11 2013-11-22 00:28:08

vernon

Identical symptoms to those described in the first two posts.  Windows XP Epic 29.0.4.0 (196386).  Irritating.  Any closer to a solution?

#12 2013-11-22 10:30:39

sai

Please uninstall Epic (at the bottom of wrench menu) and delete Epic Folder (%APPDATA%/Local/), do a fresh download the latest Epic from epicbrowser.com and install it.

That is a bug in the omaha installer, we have fixed it in new downloads, we are also working on updating the updater on already downloaded versions (which is likely to take sometime)

#13 2013-12-01 18:28:58

I am very highly motivated to see Epic a success but the erratic behavior involving Auto-Pinning to the Taskbar and the re-installation of the Shortcut on the Desktop in very troubling. In addition to known problems the shortcut will also be reinstalled on the Quick Launch Bar and the “Start Menu”. I have a good friend who upon observing this erratic behavior in Epic deleted the software; when he observed residual fragments of what he believed to be Epic code connecting to the Internet, he reimaged his hard drive as this is his SOP for dealing with viruses and worms. I personally don’t believe that Epic is compromised with malware but there is a block of code which is not totally under the full control of Hidden Reflex. I am running a Win7-64 system and all recommended Microsoft updates are current; as are the anti-virus protocols. The code level of Epic I am now running is identified as: “Version 29.0.5.0 (196386)”. I have reinstalled Epic multiple times and now run the DOS command “DIR epic* /a /s” and manually delete any trace of the last version of Epic before installing the newest version of Epic which I down for the website. I actually had Epic running for a two week period without incident and then the problem resumed, all by itself. I deleted the old Epic and removed any trace but the problem returned within a few hours but the newest reinstall appears to be different. Here is what I am observing:

Within a few minutes of rebooting my Windows system, Epic runs a process which updates the file “EpicUpdate.log” which is stored in two locations within Epic managed folders under “Users” and “ProgramData” and appears to be identical in content. Exactly one hour later and every hour thereafter the “EpicUpdate.log” files are updated. Every 12 hours after reboot and during the update of the log files, the problem with the recreation of the shortcuts occur, which have a date/time stamp identical to the log files. If the shortcut resides in a unique Epic folder, the folder is also recreated with the identical date/time stamp. If I manually delete “Epic Privacy Browser.lnk” and any associated folders, they are all back 12 hours later from the time of system reboot.

My primary question is why is Epic running a process every hour and why is it connecting to the Internet (i.e. https://updates.epicbrowser.com/service/update2) constantly? If Epic is checking for updates, which it appears to be doing every hour, this is frankly overkill. This behavior is very troubling because it is not something stealth software should be doing. My second question is why are Epic executable files stored under the “Users” folder and not the “Program Files” folders?

I reinstalled Epic at 11/30/2013 10:12 AM EST, following my usual cleanup procedure first. I unpinned the shortcut from the Taskbar and removed the shortcut from Desktop but made no other changes to Epic. I didn’t install the shortcut on the Quick Launch Bar as I suspected that could be a possible source of difficulty. I didn’t copy my favorites from IE but I did upgrade from IE v10 to V11 which I was planning to do this weekend. I have run Epic a few times and my PC has been on for over 48 hours and so far there have been no problems and the logs are updated hourly;  but, I have had a run for 2 weeks without any incident. I will wait another 12 hours and add Epic to the Quick Launch Bar and see how that goes, and then another 12 hour paused. If all is well after that, I add back the Favorites from IE.

If Epic didn’t have so much potential, I would not be putting this level of effort into a browser. There are a unique set of conditions which trigger this problem and they need to be identified.

Is there a debug reporting mode in Epic which can be enabled any time an object is created?

Mike

#14 2013-12-02 10:23:17

sai

Hi Mike, this problem is resolved in the latest builds.

#15 2013-12-04 12:11:08

I am sorry to report that latest Epic code [Version 31.0.1650.57 (196386); installed 2013-11-30], is again recreating the shortcuts on the Taskbar, Desktop and Quick Launch Bar. I really like the Epic Browser but the supporting software which comes with Epic is a disaster. If a newer code level is available, I will give it one try, otherwise I have going to have to delete Epic until such a time as the problem is fixed. I suspect that the installer software is going to have to be replaced. If there are any new developments, send me an Email or post here.

Mike

#16 2013-12-04 12:25:25

sai

Hi, have you uninstalled your last browser version? Please uninstall and download the latest epic from epicbrowser.com. This removes the Epic Desktop Shortcut Icon & Taskbar and Quick Launch bar.

The bug was from installer, as of now we are unable to update the old installers.

You can read our blog  http://blog.epicbrowser.com/?p=16

#17 2016-03-01 12:55:17

harhgwwe55

C:\Users\Admin\AppData\Local\Epic Privacy Browser\Application is the location it chose to install itself instead of in programs.

Product/File Version is 48.02553.0

Every time I started the browser, it would create a shortcut on the desktop and on the task bar. I had it pinned to the start menu. I did not have it as the default browser. I never let it create multiple desktop shortcuts, so I cannot tell you if that was reproduceable for this version. I have uninstalled. Also I did not look for the update log files you mention running every couple of hours. Just too weird of a program for me, running in the background when I am not running the program is not cool with me.

TLDR, problem is NOT fixed with the current build.

Windows 7 64-bit.

#18 2016-03-01 12:59:57

harhgwwe55

C:\Users\Admin\AppData\Local\Epic Privacy Browser\Application is the location it chose to install itself instead of in programs.

Product/File Version is 48.02553.0

Every time I started the browser, it would create a shortcut on the desktop and on the task bar. I had it pinned to the start menu. I did not have it as the default browser. I never let it create multiple desktop shortcuts, so I cannot tell you if that was reproduceable for this version. I have uninstalled. Also I did not look for the update log files you mention running every couple of hours. Just too weird of a program for me, running in the background when I am not running the program is not cool with me.

TLDR, problem is NOT fixed with the current build.

Windows 7 64-bit.

installer version same 48.02553.0

Would you believe, it created a shortcut and a taskbar pin WHILE I WAS DELETING IT.  I touched the program properties to document them here for you, that started an Epic process that I had to stop in task manager in order to delete the program, and now that I am done, there is ANOTHER SHORTCUT and taskbar pin. Wow.

#19 2016-03-07 12:05:02

reactofx

This threat is from 2013 we are in 2016 now, and I have the same problem.

What is the status of this issue?

My firewall pops up almost every day asking permission for the Hidden Reflex proces "Setup.exe" Does this have anything to do with this problem?

#20 2016-03-08 10:08:11

alok_epicteam
Administrator

Thanks for posting here.  The issue was solved.  it seems to have creeped back in for some Windows 7 users.  Please keep sharing any details you can on this issue i.e. when did you initially install Epic, what's your OS (32 or 64 bit), when did it start happening, etc.

We're unable to re-create this bug so we're not sure how to solve it.  Earlier, it was related to the installer...but if you've just updated your Epic, it shouldn't be installer-related. 

We're working on this.

In the meantime, if it's too irritating and you want to uninstall Epic (and to backup any bookmarks / passwords), please follow these instructions:

http://blog.epicbrowser.com/2013/11/epi … 4-systems/

#21 2016-03-08 14:21:12

madcadder

The issue is directly related to
Users\...\AppData\Local\Epic Privacy Browser\Installer\EpicUpdate.exe" /c
being in the Windows Startup.

When disabled in the Startup it doesn't create the icon.

When you double-click the EXE after startup it doesn't create the icon.

Guessing it has to do specifically with the /c

If I knew whether or not Epic checked for an update when launched then it would be an easy fix by removing it from the Windows Startup and rely on browser launch to do the deed.

#22 2016-03-11 10:09:02

liz

Same thing happening to me with shortcuts being created on the desktop, still haven't been able to find the trigger. It doesn't happen when I restart, or necessarily even when using Epic. I find it often happens after I've spent significant time in another browser. I have a feeling it has something to do with downloading or printing from the (other) browser, but not sure.

Win 8.1, 64 bit, Epic installed a few months ago, version 48.0.2553.0. It started happening rather soon after install.

#23 2016-03-15 08:48:01

kcurtis

I stopped the recreating of the shortcuts on my system.

I ran CCleaner and looked at the run at startup. Found an application named something like "EpicBrowserUpdateCheck.exe" (going from memory here, I should have written it down!), I had CCleaner remove it. After 2 days, not one new desktop shortcut OR Taskbar icon has been created.

System:
Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit (6.1, Build 7601) Service Pack 1 (7601.win7sp1_gdr.150722-0600)

#24 2016-03-15 18:01:23

alok_epicteam
Administrator

Great work -- yes it's related to our installer / updater!  It's NOT a good idea though to delete that program as it prevents your Epic from getting updated in the future.

Please try the instructions in this post, users are reporting that upon thorough uninstall, then reinstallation, this issue (the auto-popping taskbar and desktop icons) disappears:

http://blog.epicbrowser.com/2013/11/epi … 4-systems/

There are details there on how to backup and re-import your bookmarks and passwords -- please back them up before you uninstall Epic if you need that data.

Please let us know if the instructions there work to solve this issue -- uninstalling then re-installing.

We're still not sure why the latest update made the updater (which should be unaffected) go haywire.  We haven't been able to reproduce the issue ourselves argh! 

But again users are reporting that the uninstall / re-install described in that blog post solves the issue so please try it -- it only takes a minute or two! 

Thanks as always for posting these issues and as many details as you can here so we can keep solving them!

#25 2016-03-17 13:27:00

dorthypersud

Great Job I Job... smile smile

Board footer