Announcement

Epic for iOS and Android are live in the App Store and the Android Play Store. We're EpicBrowser on Twitter and on Facebook. Please feel free to also email our Founder directly with issues or questions: alok at hiddenreflex dot com

#1 2014-10-31 02:54:56

weave2u

Bing images and youtube videos

I'm not sure if this is a built in default... but when I click images in the search engine, I get a ridiculous Bing page and if I click video, I get youtube.  I prefer the normal browser search behavior that includes all sources, i.e., typical Chrome search results.  Is this actually built in? If so, why? Is that where you get paid? If this isn't the default behavior, how can I change it?  Thank you for answering.

#2 2014-10-31 07:19:21

alok
Administrator

Re: Bing images and youtube videos

We can have links to Google image results on that page as well, good idea.  I myself find Bing images pretty good actually, try them, you may get used to them.  Bing isn't as aggressive in tracking as Google and we believe most of our users are logged into gmail / not logged into live which lessens tracking as well. 

Let us know what sort of search page / results you were expecting. 

Not sure if you read our blog entry, but Google is VERY aggressively trying to track users -- they previously censored us then they cut us off when just as EMPHATICALLY told them NO!  So while I understand they have great results (which they unfortunately will no longer provide us since we won't pass over your/our users' ip addresses), for privacy reasons, we don't encourage using their search, particularly when so many users are logged into gmail in the browser.

#3 2014-10-31 17:25:59

weave2u

I appreciate your reply.  I am actually more concerned about the youtube link when I'm searching for videos.  Bing pretty much shows the same pictures I'd get from google, so that isn't as big an issue.  On-the-other-hand, youtube will only show what is available on youtube.  There are plenty of other websites that have videos that may be relevant to my search clause. So, in that sense, Epic limits my search abilities.  I do agree that google is very aggressive in tracking and spying, but I'm not convinced that microsoft is any less so.  Thank you for your consideration.

#4 2014-11-18 20:16:16

ghrohrs

Yes, alok, I too am concerned about being forced to view image results through Bing and video exclusively through Youtube. I now have a deep distrust of the big data hoarders (Google, MSN, Yahoo, etc.) and wish to have Epic display all results though it's "non-tracking" formula as opposed to being pushed out of Epic upon choosing a search filter (Images, Video, etc.) and being forced into surfing through the engines with less integrity and transparency.

Please allow us to remain in the Epic environment no matter what filter we choose to see our initial search results. There are many, many of us that hope to defy the "Trackers" in every activity. In fact, I wish there was an app that gave a hypothetical "middle finger" gesture to Google and Bing every time we chose to employ Epic results over theirs. They make me sick!

Please help the web stay free of tracking at every level. We will support you if you do. If you give in and sell out, prepare for the consequences of being a has-been.

Thank you.

#5 2014-11-22 05:07:16

weave2u

I hate to say it, because frankly I'm very happy with Epic and what it does... I think it's... well... EPIC!  But I still use Chrome for some searches because it's top results typically are what I'm looking for.  For example, if I'm researching a person or topic, often wikipedia and similar sites will be listed first. In Epic, I notice that those results are several pages into the search results. Many times, in both browsers, I resort to using images to track down information because I know what I'm "Looking" for and I get the results I'm after quicker than paging through search results.  Unfortunately, my experience so far with the bing images is that they are not as complete as the ones I get through the Chrome browser.  All that said, I do go through Chrome's settings and delete cookies, etc., and I appreciate that Epic has a button to show me what tracking cookie's are active.  Overall, I rate Epic very highly, I think it is evolving with highly concerned people working diligently to improve it and maintain it... and I personally appreciate that greatly... keep up the good work!!

#6 2015-01-29 09:38:42

alok
Administrator

Thanks so much for the feedback!  Yes, we'd like to improve search...unfortunately we don't have access to an image or video results feed right now.  We're working on that and also improving our search results.  Search is lucrative and there's a strong incentive to track you...which we're bumping into...we hope to have some better solutions soon, but in the meantime if you're closing Epic regularly and on our proxy and not logged into a google service, then you should be quite safe:-).  Use another browser for gmail if you use it and epic for browsing!

Board footer