Announcement

Epic for iOS and Android are live in the App Store and the Android Play Store. We're EpicBrowser on Twitter and on Facebook. Please feel free to also email our Founder directly with issues or questions: alok at hiddenreflex dot com

#1 2015-08-04 01:42:31

Joe

User Agent and fingerprinting

Hi,

In Epic, if I check with Panopticlick, the User Agent is in the open for anybody to see.  This makes Panopticlick see my browser as unique.

In any other chrome based browser where I can install extensions such as Change HTTP Request Header (and there are another 2 I haven't tried), Panopticlick sees a blank line where the User Agent was. That means that instead of being seen as 1 out 6 million, now it is seen as 1 out of 300000 browsers.  Sure, with no javascript in both situations. It's not much but is a step in the right direction, and if many will do this it will only get better.

Are you looking into this to stop Epic show the User Agent? Thanx

#2 2016-01-09 00:13:51

alok_epicteam
Administrator

Re: User Agent and fingerprinting

The problem with blocking the user-agent data is that a lot of websites will break if we block it.  We'll continue to use a common user-agent, usually from chrome, to keep everyone anonymous.  Don't worry...hundreds of thousands of Epic users all over the world have the same user agent!

#3 2016-01-25 16:54:20

mbblockbox

Re: User Agent and fingerprinting

I would like the option to remove my OS and other things from the fingerprint tho, I know screen size and other options like this are needed for some websites but hiding OS would also be a nice option or even add a tool/option in the browser where users are able to select there own options, I know you use chrome as its clean and easy to use but let the end user have some control over there options like OS, agent, time zone and even the proxy they jump from, as your own forum blocks your new york proxy.

Board footer