Announcement

Epic for iOS and Android are live in the App Store and the Android Play Store. We're EpicBrowser on Twitter and on Facebook. Please feel free to also email our Founder directly with issues or questions: alok at hiddenreflex dot com

#1 2016-03-01 13:05:51

havonasun

AV False positive?

For a few days, my AV alerted me that a temp file CR_xxxx.tmp\setup.exe was attempting to modify my files in a suspicious manner.  It informed me that the file was not digitally signed, and that it was authored by Epic, although it could be faked.  I researched the problem and found a forum entry that someone with Avast ran into the issue of a false positive.  I also found your blog about Norton deleting Epic without any user input.  To test this, I went to the Epic about page, which, in Chromium, triggers an update check.  Sure enough, the warning popped up, and I allowed the action.  However, the version number on the about page did not change.  What gives?

I know that it will take some time for your browser to become integrated into AV whitelists, but I feel that digitally signing your software might go far in helping to avoid these issues.  I still don't know if I made a bad decision by allowing the install, and this inspires me to not use your browser, simply to eliminate the variable.  Consider this creative criticism.

Board footer