Announcement

Epic for iOS and Android are live in the App Store and the Android Play Store. We're EpicBrowser on Twitter and on Facebook. Please feel free to also email our Founder directly with issues or questions: alok at hiddenreflex dot com

#1 2014-04-27 19:01:38

nono95

Epic.exe detected as a virus by Avast

I launched Epic and my avast antivirus detect epic.exe a  virus (I don't remember exactly which kind of virus win32xx).
I there an update of Epic latly ?

#2 2014-04-30 11:50:38

alok
Administrator

Re: Epic.exe detected as a virus by Avast

We have updated Epic recently. 

Epic has been found to be completely safe by dozens of anti-virus software like Kaspersky, Norton, etc.  We have had problems where their "heuristics" identify Epic as a threat as being a modified chrome -- but almost all now recognize Epic as a separate software and have checked Epic and found it completely clean.  We'll reach out to Avast.

The one issue in terms of malware with Epic is IF you downloaded Epic from anywhere other than epicbrowser.com.  Then uninstall immediately and clean your system to be sure!!  Never install Epic from anywhere except for epicbrowser.com -- and that goes for any software, always install only from the vendor!!  If you download Epic or other software from others, it's probably nothing to worry about -- they usually only bundle in toolbars or adware, annoying but not totally malicious..but it's definitely not advisable!!

#3 2014-05-02 17:12:04

nono95

Thanks Alok.
I dowload epic from the epic site.

#4 2014-05-17 20:59:20

grwatt

I am having exactly the same issue. Looks like its back to firefox!

#5 2014-05-18 10:54:31

alok
Administrator

We've notified Avast of this issue & hopefully they're correcting it.  Try to tell your Avast a-v that Epic is a trusted application.  Apparently Avast is even deleting our latest update for some users -- yikes! 

So if you have Avast, make sure any bookmarks/passwords you require are at least backed up. 

Sorry about that...a-v heuristics could use some improvement in their false positive handling.

#6 2014-05-22 10:20:03

zman

having the same issue with Symantec Endpoint Protection sad

#7 2014-05-22 12:48:09

sai

Please check this blog, http://blog.epicbrowser.com/, it has some suggestions.

Thank You
Sai

Board footer