Announcement

Epic for iOS and Android are live in the App Store and the Android Play Store. We're EpicBrowser on Twitter and on Facebook. Please feel free to also email our Founder directly with issues or questions: alok at hiddenreflex dot com

#1 2014-06-04 16:33:48

jimrobertson

URL address bar worrisome autocomplete suggestions

If the Epic Privacy Browser deletes history every time I quit from it (I'm on the latest Mac release), why is it that right after I launch the app, typing in "pass" in the URL entry window autocompletes to <passport.webmoney.ru>.

I've never visited that site (assuming it exists). I'm leery of anything from a .ru domain extension (that's where a great deal of my email spam originates).

Even if i manually clear my browsing history, the same autocomplete suggestion persists!

Thanks so much.

#2 2014-06-05 14:51:08

sai

Re: URL address bar worrisome autocomplete suggestions

Hi,

You need not worry about this, as it is local auto complete feature of Epic for word "pass". It is neither history nor any website that you have visited earlier.

Autocomplete (Local (https://epicbrowser.com/#three), last point under this) is a feature of Epic, that lists most popular websites

Thank You
Sai

#3 2014-06-05 14:56:43

jimrobertson

Thanks so much!

May I ask who compiles this database? Is it loaded along with the initial install? Does it grow over time? Does it archive sites I've visited (which would defeat its privacy purpose, I think)?

#4 2014-06-05 15:52:49

sai

Epic Privacy Browser Team compiles this database and installs on to you local system, so you we help you by giving suggestions (without hitting any of our servers) visit prominent websites.

Yes it is loaded with the initial install.

No it does not grow over time.

No it does not archive sites you have visited.

Thank You
Sai

#5 2015-04-12 13:57:50

I generally apprecieate the idea of a local database for autocomplete.

But for me, few of the suggestions from that database make much sense. This is mostly because I browse much at local sites in my language which might have somewahat similar, but still different addresses then the ones suggested. Which mean many of the suggestions from teh database are more of an irritant the a help.

- Is there any way for me as a user of editing this database?
- Lacking that, is there any way to disable the autocomplete function?

Cheers
/M

#6 2015-04-28 01:56:34

mutterer

Agree with /M about autosuggest and find most of the suggestions irrelevant.    Unfortunately, I find it burdensome as it confuses when I'm typing in a url or search term. 

Couldn't Epic's autosuggest be an option?

#7 2015-06-23 22:26:08

alok
Administrator

Thanks for the suggestions...we may in the future make it optional or edit-able.  I also personally find some weird website names getting auto-filled at times (mostly older sites that are no longer in use), but it's mostly quite helpful for me:-).

#8 2015-12-23 18:24:29

walker

That is unacceptable.  It's creepy. 
Why in the world would anybody think this is a useful feature?
Some seemingly random hard-coded URLs that are impossible for the user to remove.

Fix this.  Live up to your claims.

#9 2016-01-08 23:47:46

alok_epicteam
Administrator

They are a list of a few thousand of the most-visited websites.  They are all hard-coded...so no privacy violations at all.  Hardly creepy but yes, some may be random.  Most users find it useful to type f and have facebook.com auto-filled...if you don't like this, you can always manually type out any url you want.

Board footer