Announcement

Epic for iOS and Android are live in the App Store and the Android Play Store. We're EpicBrowser on Twitter and on Facebook. Please feel free to also email our Founder directly with issues or questions: alok at hiddenreflex dot com

#1 2014-10-12 19:08:48

KezGreant

Would use an alternative search engine

Hello everyone and the Epic Team, and thank you very much for your work.

My request is pretty simple, I really want to use this browser with a alternative searching engine (DuckDuckGo, to name it). The problem is that I can't put another name in the EPB preferences for the searching part. I really like the work of these guys and i would continue to use your good browser, could you help me ?

Thanks by advance !
Kez

#2 2014-10-14 21:28:50

ds

Re: Would use an alternative search engine

Same with me...I would like to use an alternative searching engine like disconnect or duckduckgo.
how can I change it?
Thank you all

#3 2014-10-15 06:10:19

alok
Administrator

Sorry, we know everyone likes to use different search engines, but hopefully EpicSearch is pretty good!  We have blocked alternative search engines because many rogue search engines try to take over, because search is core to privacy and epic search was integrated into epic well. 

We most likely won't support putting other search engines for awhile -- more coming on this soon.  We're strongly committed to protecting your privacy!

#4 2014-10-23 23:10:42

siadmo

alok wrote:

We most likely won't support putting other search engines for awhile -- more coming on this soon.  We're strongly committed to protecting your privacy!

But you end up not protecting privacy.

Sure, EpicSearch does protect my privacy, but it's FAR TOO SLOW and essentially unusable, so I, and probably many others, use another search engine in another browser, or just don't use Epic at all as a result of this.

For example, I am currently using a VPN for all my web traffic.
I entered a search term in Epic, hit enter and the search results showed up 35 SECONDS later!
I enter a serach term in Firefox using Google and the results show up in 2 seconds.
Most of that delay is waiting to establish a secure connection etc.

#5 2014-10-23 23:15:18

siadmo

alok wrote:

But you end up not protecting privacy.

Sure, EpicSearch does protect my privacy, but it's FAR TOO SLOW and essentially unusable, so I, and probably many others, use another search engine in another browser, or just don't use Epic at all as a result of this.

For example, I am currently using a VPN for all my web traffic.
I entered a search term in Epic, hit enter and the search results showed up 35 SECONDS later!
I enter a serach term in Firefox using Google and the results show up in 2 seconds.
Most of that delay is waiting to establish a secure connection etc.

#6 2014-10-24 17:20:23

alok
Administrator

Hmm, that's strange, EpicSearch shouldn't be that slow.  Thanks for letting us know.  Are other search engines faster in Epic?  When your VPN is off, is search faster in Epic?

#7 2014-10-28 22:36:51

siadmo

alok wrote:

Hmm, that's strange, EpicSearch shouldn't be that slow.  Thanks for letting us know.  Are other search engines faster in Epic?  When your VPN is off, is search faster in Epic?

Yes, when VPN is off, EpicSearch is suitably quick.

However, with VPN on, EpicSearch is unusable, but e.g: Google from within Epic is quick.

Looking at the status bar as the search happens, the slow part is Epic establishing the secure connection to EpicSearch. Once that's done, the results are returned quite quickly.

Other HTTPS sites are OK in Epic w/ VPN on.

Both endpoints of my VPN are in Australia.

#8 2014-11-04 16:38:54

Mag

Let me second the sentiment on the great work being done - thanks for creating Epic! I've found very few problems, but the search engine is huge. I appreciate the difficulty in competing with the likes of Google or Bing, but Epic's search engine is basically useless. I'll continue to use the browser, but this is something that needs to be overcome in order for me to be able to fully recommend it to family and friends.

#9 2014-11-05 11:24:54

gimpy

Just customize your homepage to include different search engines in the boxes.

Board footer