Announcement

Epic for iOS and Android are live in the App Store and the Android Play Store. We're EpicBrowser on Twitter and on Facebook. Please feel free to also email our Founder directly with issues or questions: alok at hiddenreflex dot com

#1 2013-12-11 03:23:30

daveleonard2

ccsinfo trojan

No matter what search I do I get re-directed to ccsinfo. Apparently there is a trojan on windows that my virus scanneers cannot pick up. How can I remove this?

#2 2013-12-11 09:03:27

alok
Administrator

Re: ccsinfo trojan

We're not sure which virus or trojan this is -- but it may be a toolbar.  Please try this:  shut down all open browser windows, and then refer to Windows Control Panel for uninstalling programs.  Then see if there are any toolbars like "search.us.com" -- uninstall it and any other toolbars.

Please let us know if that helps.  If not, please send us more details on what search engine you're getting re-directed to. 

Be careful in terms of your system, but controlling search in general is lucrative so a lot of toolbars and others try to take over search in your browsers and make it a bit hard to uninstall their software -- but they usually just take over search.  Still, you'll want to run an anti-virus and anti-spyware and anti-malware software to make sure your system is clean. 

Others in the forum may have some more advice/recommendations too.

#3 2013-12-11 09:04:00

alok
Administrator

Note for all Epic Users:  whenever you install any software, go slowly and make sure there are no checkboxes that are checked which install toolbars or other software into your system you don't want!!!

#4 2013-12-12 01:41:46

daveleonard

Thanks a lot Alok. I did a search on another computer and found it to be a browser malware thing. I downloaded adware cleaner and apparently that got it because I no longer see css infospace on my searches. But I can't get Epic Search to come up so I downloaded a fresh copy of Epic but that did not help. Maybe the site epicsearch.in might just be down for service or something. Thanks for your help.

#5 2013-12-12 03:22:12

daveleonard

alok, I used three different cleaners which did remove the css infospace malware. I checked out each of my browsers and none showed a redirect to css infospace. But, Epic would not do a search at all. So I uninstalled epic and installed a fresh epic program. Bingo, all searches on epic redirected me to css infospace. Epic was the only program I installed so it had to have come in on the epic reinstall. I would check your install download and fix it unless you are doing this on purpose!

#6 2013-12-12 04:57:08

daveleonard

Alok, I would like to apologize for my last reply. Upon further thought I could have downloaded your program from some other site, I do not remember, and the trojan could have come in on Epic but through no fault of yours. I will download epic again and this time make sure it is from your site. I will let you know.

#7 2013-12-12 08:54:56

alok
Administrator

Thanks for the post & glad you've identified the issue!!  Very important!!!

All Epic Users -- PLEASE only download Epic from epicbrowser.com -- DO NOT DOWNLOAD Epic from anywhere else.

There are some sites that take Epic and bundle in malware and host it for download on their site :-( ...

#8 2013-12-12 11:29:32

daveleonard

alok, I went to epicbrowser.com and downloaded the app. It downloaded and installed with no problem. The trouble is when I tried out the privacy search and got a list of different sites, putting the cursor over any site resulted in another redirect by css infospace the browser hijacker. I am sorry to report this but I know you would want to know so the problem can be addressed. I quickly uninstalled the app but I do want to use Epic. If it is something wrong on my end I certainly want to know. Thanks and take care.

#9 2013-12-18 11:35:28

alok
Administrator

Hi Dave,

Sorry for the late reply.

Really strange that the css infospace seemed to be uninstalled but the issues came up after you re-installed Epic. 

One suggestion is that there are a bunch of pages suggesting ways to uninstall css infospace like this:
http://howtovirusremoval.com/how-to-rem … p-pop-ups/

Please DO NOT INSTALL any removal tools...they seem sketchy to me!! 

Try again to uninstall it.  Also, in case it came in through a malicious person specifically for Epic, delete any files with "Epic" in them in this folder:
%localappdata%
(type that in any Windows navigation window then delete/trash any folders that are called "Epic" or "Epic Privacy Browser")

If it's on your system it could intercept sites in any browser depending on how it works.  Not sure why it would only affect Epic.   Except if it was part of a malicious bundle of Epic+malware.

What could be happening is that you uninstalled Epic but didn't uninstall the malware...so reinstalling Epic just triggered that malware again.  And that malware may be designed to work only with Epic?!  It sounds a bit odd though. 

Epicsearch.in is working fine for users.  No one else has reported this issue and the css infospace malware is definitely not part of any official epic browser release (or there would have been tens of thousands of complaints!).

Also it's good to warn users as you experience issues, but we'd appreciate it if you didn't post claims about Epic that aren't fully substantiated and before following up with us...e.g. this forum has been promoting your post:
http://computerhelpforums.net/threads/b … HelpForums

Let us know if any of that works...else we'll try to find some more ways to help you uninstall this css infospace malware!!  Thanks!!

#10 2014-02-17 03:32:40

miguelito

Hello alok, I too am experiencing the intrusion of "css infospace". I have been using the Epic browser for quite a few months with no problems till the last few weeks. I have tried all the removal things written about, checking all browser settings, bookmarks, windows internet settings etc. and have found no "infospace" or "search.us.com". I run Windows 7 Home Edition with Avira antivirus. I regularly run antivirus/rootkit scans with Avira, SUPERAntiSpyware Free Edition & Malwarebytes Anti-Malware. With this "infospace" problem, I also ran Spybot-S&D too. I have found nothing. I scan everything before I install it and avoid any bundled extras during installation. I'm perplexed as to why it could be affecting Epic as I thought it would be impervious to browser hijacking. The weird thing is it goes to pages with "ccs.infospace.com....." but no data is loaded in the page, just blank, so is something trying to hijack the browser and the browser is refusing and that's why my search goes nowhere. The problem happens mostly when I highlight a word in some text and alt+click with the mouse and select "search Epic for ...". Any ideas?

Board footer