Announcement

Epic for iOS and Android are live in the App Store and the Android Play Store. We're EpicBrowser on Twitter and on Facebook. Please feel free to also email our Founder directly with issues or questions: alok at hiddenreflex dot com

#1 2014-07-10 00:12:55

jandrejack

Enabling cookies

How does one go about enabling cookies with Epic?

#2 2014-07-10 04:43:10

sathi
Administrator

Re: Enabling cookies

Hi jandrejack,

Thanks for using Epic Privacy Browser.

We are not blocking any cookies except third party cookies. Do you mean third party cookies?

If you want to disable third party cookies or cookies  , go to settings->privacy->content settings -> cookies, then you can find options to enable or disable cookies and third party cookies.

Feel free to write us, still the problem persists.

#3 2014-07-27 11:49:45

dxz

How about being able to see which cookies are present and being able to remove those we wish to?
I thought privacy, and functionality were priorities here, but this aspect seems worse than other browsers.

#4 2014-07-27 13:32:26

sathi
Administrator

Hi dxz,

Thanks for writing us,
at this point we are not providing users to choose cookies he wants to remove.

#5 2014-08-20 09:40:12

gannet

Been using epic for a couple of days and so far loving the blocking of tracking in general.

Being unable to leave first party cookies on close is really a pain though - several of my sites I prefer to be able to store - google maps being one, I hate the 'new' google maps and keep having to revert to the 'classic'  the site offers to remember my choice, but alas it does this with a cookie.

Also several sites saving cookies for the first time popup a message which I have to dismiss... now daily... everytime I go on them.

Please at least optionally can you let us decide if we want to delete cookies on close or leave them?

Unless I'm already missing finding this option?

thanks.

#6 2014-08-20 13:52:04

sathi
Administrator

Hi gannet,

Thanks for your support and writing us.

Epic clears all the first party cookies on close. Cookies contains the information about your OS, Browser Type, Surfing habits etc. This information may leak your privacy.

At this point we are not offering user to choose to delete or keep cookies on browser cookies.

#7 2014-08-20 17:16:32

gannet

sathi wrote:

Hi gannet,

Thanks for your support and writing us.

Epic clears all the first party cookies on close. Cookies contains the information about your OS, Browser Type, Surfing habits etc. This information may leak your privacy.

At this point we are not offering user to choose to delete or keep cookies on browser cookies.

Thanks for replying and I understand that, just would like to have the option to leave them there.  It really spoils the experience for me - for instance sites I go to everyday (like my home page etc), now with your browser are prohibitive.

to the point where I will likely stop using the browser and go back to chrome...

#8 2014-10-15 06:25:03

alok
Administrator

We'd love to keep you of course...but unfortunately it is imperative the Epic "clean" itself on close.  For the future, we'll see about retaining some first-party cookies but it's quite a ways off and would be dangerous to implement as it could be manipulated potentially -- that being said, we understand it's a bit of a pain logging in / resetting preferences. 

For now I'd suggest using two browsers (chrome for any sites you want cookies retained for) and Epic for all browsing...or try to put up with the re-setting of preferences for sites in Epic (your privacy is worth it!).

#9 2020-02-03 06:18:32

alok_epicteam
Administrator

Epic allows first-party cookies i.e. cnn can set cnn cookies...without that, you couldn't log into any website.  When you close Epic, all cookies are deleted.

#10 2022-11-02 18:43:22

Proxy1
Administrator

I'll forward this to the mother ship. His advice about using two browsers is good.

#11 2023-02-22 21:33:16

alok_epicteam
Administrator

Thanks for the feedback and thoughts.  We're working on more flexibility for Epic users -- we do recognize that many people miss the convenience of opening their browser and remaining logged in to sites they use :-).

Board footer