Announcement

Epic for iOS and Android are live in the App Store and the Android Play Store. We're EpicBrowser on Twitter and on Facebook. Please feel free to also email our Founder directly with issues or questions: alok at hiddenreflex dot com

#1 2014-02-18 03:37:59

noiwont

Real IP leaking with Proxy on!

I love Epic, but found a site change which led me to finding my real IP address can be found out on the internet when using the proxy service. Please fix this.

I start Epic with proxy on and now find that Autoblog.com, part of AOL, has changed their site and can send me Canada specific pages. This started around this past weekend, before I would always get the U.S site.

Today, I tried out ip-adress.com and it reports under its proxy section that my proxy is "transparent" with my real address shown. If they and AOL can see it, am I really private?

Please fix this as I love how easy you make it to proxy into the U.S.A.

Thanks

#2 2014-02-19 15:08:46

alok
Administrator

Re: Real IP leaking with Proxy on!

Thanks for your support and for letting us know about this issue with the proxy.  That site must doing some type of proxy-detection -- most don't.  We're working on providing an encrypted and more secure proxy -- we hope to have that updated very soon.

#3 2014-04-23 11:28:38

dsponstreet

Please i can still view my real IP on ip2location.com while the proxy server is on. Sometimes my IP is private but since today it has been revealed.  Please how can i correct this. Thanks

#4 2014-04-23 13:31:29

sai

Sorry about the inconvenience. You can disable the proxy when it is not working by going to settings page.

Yeah, our partner spotflux has not been reliable. We apologise for that.

We're setting up a much more stable proxy, in future, browsing will be much smoother, secure and stable.

Thank You
Sai

#5 2014-07-16 09:48:35

this01

sai wrote:

Yeah, our partner spotflux has not been reliable. We apologise for that.

We're setting up a much more stable proxy, in future, browsing will be much smoother, secure and stable.

Interesting! Why can't we learn such basic facts from the Epic main page? Like: what company where does provide the proxy function? Also, is this a paid service? Why are they doing it? Why have you picked them?

#6 2014-07-20 06:53:07

alok
Administrator

Epic proxy is now powered by Epic and it is encrypted all the time :-)!  So you have awesome privacy protection with the proxy on.

That being said, we didn't provide the most thorough answer for the previous posts / issue.  Your IP can still get leaked when using Epic -- this is through plugins.  Plugins such as Flash and others will generally revert to OS-level network settings and ignore our proxy.  We are working on a method to block this or force plugins to use our proxy, but this isn't easy.

If you absolutely have to hide your IP all the time, you must disable plugins or making them click to play -- this is done in the Epic Settings page. 

We haven't made plugins click to play or disabled them, because in testing, users found both situations uncomfortable as many websites do use flash and thus didn't work or were difficult to make work (though clicking to play isn't that hard, it does get annoying!).  We've designed Epic to be a daily-use browser and are working to provide a fast, normal browsing experience with the maximum privacy possible and Epic does a fantastic job at that we feel...but for more even more privacy, you should make plugins click-to-play or disabled. 

Also, Epic's proxy IP addresses (of which there aren't many admittedly) may be on some proxy lists -- so through these lists some sites such as Hulu may be able to detect that you're on a proxy.

#7 2014-11-06 23:50:51

eumios

i read above that you can make plugins click to play.  i looked in my settings and did not see an option for this.  could you please let me know how to disable or make plugins "click to play".  thanks.

#8 2014-11-07 08:20:21

sai

Hi eumios,

You can go to chrome://settings/-> Privacy->Content Settings->Plugins-> check the option for "Click to Play"

Thank You
Sai

#9 2014-11-10 09:07:06

dlw1412

Epic is leaking my real IP Number also. You want to see how bad Epic really is? Go to http://www.stayinvisible.com/. This (Epic) doesn't work people. Here is proof!
You can use a VPN in Chrome, then open Epic and it won't show your real IP Number, but it can still be traced to your VPN. Best thing to do is get a REAL VPN that doesn't keep records. They are a few out there.

#10 2014-11-10 12:31:25

sathi
Administrator

Hi dlw1412,

Yes,  Flash is leaking your real IP address. Enable the Epic's proxy and change the plugin settings to click to play or block.
Umbrella button on right side will help you to block the plugin settings on site basis.   

Thank you.

#11 2015-06-05 03:28:37

KP

I checked my IP on mylocation.org
In the field of additional IP adress it shows my real location. this does not happen when I use hotspot shield in chrome

#12 2015-06-23 22:21:19

alok
Administrator

A VPN like hotspot shield better protects your IP address because even plugins like Flash will use the VPN's IP address.  Unfortunately our proxy doesn't extend to plugins hence the IP leak by Flash.

#13 2016-11-22 02:04:57

inheral

alok wrote:

A VPN like hotspot shield better protects your IP address because even plugins like Flash will use the VPN's IP address.  Unfortunately our proxy doesn't extend to plugins hence the IP leak by Flash.

Has this been fixed now?.

#14 2016-11-24 19:19:51

shawn

Yes. Same issue here.
Tried to access https://cloud.zeropond.com/ using Canadian proxy with Epic and it recognizes that it is a US proxy...

Board footer