Announcement

Epic for iOS and Android are live in the App Store and the Android Play Store. We're EpicBrowser on Twitter and on Facebook. Please feel free to also email our Founder directly with issues or questions: alok at hiddenreflex dot com

#1 2015-01-16 17:15:19

Rafale

Query about LastPass Extension

I recently installed Epic Browser and added LastPass Extension.

To my surprise the extension version shown in Epic browser is LastPass 3.2

But the latest version updated by LastPass is v3.1.84/3.1.85
LastPass Release Notes
https://lastpass.com/misc_releasenotes.php

My question is whether Epic Browser is modifying or altering LastPass extension ?
How can it be v3.2 when the actual updated version is v3.1.84/3.1.85 in LastPass

Another question is how the extension is getting updated in Epic Browser whenever LastPass is updating the extension ?

Regards
Rafale

#2 2015-01-27 15:55:01

Rafale

Re: Query about LastPass Extension

Hi Sai / Epic Team,
I asked LastPass Support Team about the 'LastPass 3.2' extension in Epic Webstore and following is the reply I got from LastPass Support Team.

Response received from LastPass Support Team...
Epic Browser is not officially supported by LastPass. While the browser is built on the Chromium engine, we do not support that engine itself, rather we support the Chrome browser.

CRX files are the file type that Chromium extensions are packed into for installation to Chromium-based browsers.
We have not submitted any builds to the epic store browser, so it must be that the older version was out of the box compatible or someone made a version.
Since we did not submit this build to them, we cannot guarantee that it is genuine and would not advise installing it.

We will make sure that there is a feature request in to support this browser so that we can track our customer's overall interest in the browser.

Requesting Epic team to contact LastPass team for official support and genuine LastPass extension.

If extensions in Epic web store are not genuine / authentic, then Privacy and Security is a big question mark ???
Epic should ensure extensions in their Web store are from official developers and genuine as well.

Thanks and Regards
Rafa

#3 2015-01-29 09:29:32

alok
Administrator

Hi Rafa,
Don't worry...it's a very trivially modified version of their Chrome browser extension.  Not sure who're in touch with at LastPass, but we're in touch with them as well. 

For Lastpass to support their extension required trivial changes to their Chrome extension -- we actually got feedback from them in terms of how their extension works.  We prefer to do the changes ourselves so it's in our hands and we can keep things updated.

For example, 1Password's extension requires a very trivial change from them...which despite many requests from us and so many users and after so many months, they still have not complied with.

Alok

#4 2015-02-08 09:03:42

Rafale

Thanks alok for the reply. Hope to see LastPass is updated to the latest in 'Epic Webstore' as in 'Chrome webstore'

Board footer