Announcement

Epic for iOS and Android are live in the App Store and the Android Play Store. We're EpicBrowser on Twitter and on Facebook. Please feel free to also email our Founder directly with issues or questions: alok at hiddenreflex dot com

#1 2014-06-24 14:11:25

saurabhdua

A Sneaky Start-up Entry in "Contradiction" with the Privacy Concept!

Hello There!

Have just started using Epic Browser on my Win 8 Desktop PC. Cleaning Utility suggests a sneak intrusion of a Start-up Item/entry associated to the Auto Update faculty of the Epic Browser!

I tried to disable the same in a natural way by scouring the relevant option within the  "Settings" Menu, but to no avail!?

Doesn't this surreptitious Intrusion of a Start-up Entry tantamount to a Breach of a User's Privacy, especially when your design offers a no relevant option to modify or disable the same at will?

Doesn't this hidden aspect goes in complete "Contradiction" to what is being touted in the name of 'so called' Privacy Protection?

Under the settings Menu, help empower the end user to choose the preferred mode of an Update Mechanism. Be it- Automatically Update, only Notify or a Manual Check & Install.

Hope, you'll be able to contemplate over this suggestion, & will also clear the mist behind this 'Pseudo Privacy Protection' Gimmick!

Thanks, Saurabh Dua, From the National Capital---New Delhi, India.

#2 2014-06-26 10:38:31

sathi
Administrator

Re: A Sneaky Start-up Entry in "Contradiction" with the Privacy Concept!

Hi ,

Thanks a lot for trying Epic Browser and your valuable suggestions.

We are using Omaha server for updating mechanism. These servers are hosted at our end.
This mechanism is very secure. Unfortunately there is no options for manual updates.
we are not tracking any of your data at our update servers. 

Thanks,
Sathi

#3 2014-06-30 15:30:53

immastan
Administrator

Hello Saurabh,

Are you using some software to clean Utility ?
Please share a screen shot of the security warning with us. 

Thank you

Indra Deep Mastan

#4 2014-12-20 15:08:52

razorbacks

sathi wrote:

Hi ,

Thanks a lot for trying Epic Browser and your valuable suggestions.

We are using Omaha server for updating mechanism. These servers are hosted at our end.
This mechanism is very secure. Unfortunately there is no options for manual updates.
we are not tracking any of your data at our update servers. 

Thanks,
Sathi

Seriously?

Adding a process to the windows startup without asking is just plain uncool to say the least. This is especially true for an organization that is pushing "privacy". At least I received a warning from my firewall so I could abort the install. Really guys this fairly shady behavior. 

And it looks like your uninstall does not even remove the startup process you install.

http://forum.epicbrowser.com/viewtopic.php?id=873

This is not the way to treat people who are privacy minded.

#5 2014-12-24 20:40:12

gimpy

This is old news about the Epic Update exe.

It is not difficult to disable it.

When you delete any program never trust the uninstaller to completely remove it, always do a thorough manual search yourself.

#6 2015-02-22 16:22:00

maia

if you are using Windows, you need a programme called Autoruns, which isn't by Microsoft but they host the download, start it as administrator, and uncheck all the things you don't want running at startup. You'll find a good deal more than Epic there, i promise you. It's the only way to get slow old computers like mine up to speed. Warning though: a lot of ipod-itunes stuff needs to be left or your computer won't detect your ipod even if you start those programmes afterwards, have to disable each session with Task Manager.

Board footer