Announcement

Epic for iOS and Android are live in the App Store and the Android Play Store. We're EpicBrowser on Twitter and on Facebook. Please feel free to also email our Founder directly with issues or questions: alok at hiddenreflex dot com

#1 2015-02-01 19:30:23

habtlittle

DNSleaktest.com

Many of these IP addresses provided by the proxy do not pass the DNS leak test at dnsleaktest.com.

Only two IPs pass:
199.217.118.201 (Saint Louis)
173.xxx.xxx.xxx (Abescon, NJ; rarely comes up)

The IPs that don't pass:
204.27.56.170 (Kansas City)
204.27.58.34 (Kansas city)
208.94.247.130 (Kansas City)
107.170.205.162 (NY)
104.131.22.37 (NY)

What a DNS leak is per the testing website (more info at the website itself):
Whenever your computer needs to contact a server on the Internet, such as when you enter a URL into your browser, your computer contacts a DNS server and requests the IP address. Most Internet service providers assign their customers a DNS server which they control and use for logging and recording your Internet activities.

Under certain conditions, even when connected to the anonymity network, the operating system will continue to use its default DNS servers instead of the anonymous DNS servers assigned to your computer by the anonymity network. DNS leaks are a major privacy threat since the anonymity network may be providing a false sense of security while private data is leaking.

#2 2015-02-11 08:50:56

sai

Re: DNSleaktest.com

Hi habtitle, 

Thank you very much for bringing this to our attention. We are working on this.

Sai

#3 2015-02-26 13:53:55

eris

I have tested DNS leak of 199.217.118.201 (Saint Louis) using the following website, http://www.stayinvisible.com/ , and info about my browser is leaked.  This problem is not unique to Epic Privacy Browser but also with other browsers that I use.

DNS leakage by the proxies used by Epic Privacy Browser needs to be addressed and fixed.

I use OpenDNS with Internet Explorer 9 and unique info about my browser is not leaked.

#4 2015-02-28 00:07:03

dlw1412

You think that's bad eris ,,, go to http://lifehacker.com/how-to-see-if-you … 1685180082 and click on the WebRTC link.  LOL, you better not use Epic. Use "Scriptblock" a Chrome extension in Chrome and you are better off. Even IE blocks WebRTC by default, but Epic can't or just refuses to. You are NOT safe with Epic Privacy Browser !!!! You people were warned!

#5 2015-02-28 12:58:21

eris

{message snipped}

I made the change in Firefox to turn off WebRTC when the vulnerability was first announced. I then ran stayinvisible dot com and thought I was o.k. Then I ran ipleak dot net and it showed my IP Address as though I had not made a change.

I am currently searching for a VPN, at a reasonable price, that will not not leak my IP Address or browser information. Browser 'fingerprinting' is a major security problem too and will immediately shutdown an application if connection to the VPN is lost (disconnected).

Had a look at en.wikipedia dot org/wiki/SoftEther_VPN  . SoftEther offers some hope for the casual VPN user. However it will not shut down an application if the connection to the VPN is 'lost'. Instead, it tries to re-connect to the VPN leaving you vulnerable while it tries, in my experience never succeeds, to re-connect to the VPN.

I hope all can sort through the

#6 2015-03-21 21:10:36

madolva

dnsleaktest passes for me.  Good work on that.

Board footer