Announcement

Epic for iOS and Android are live in the App Store and the Android Play Store. We're EpicBrowser on Twitter and on Facebook. Please feel free to also email our Founder directly with issues or questions: alok at hiddenreflex dot com

#1 2015-05-31 07:12:50

Allow changing default search engine

I love the Epic Browser and use it as my default as much as possible. I've donated twice to support its development. But one's search engine choice, like one's browser choice, is very personal. Being forced to use a specific search engine is painful.

Please allow us to change the default search engine.

If epicsearch is a source of income, you could make this a paid feature. It's worth paying for.

Thanks.

#2 2015-07-04 15:24:51

kprkpr

Re: Allow changing default search engine

Im agree with you too, only one engine is a bit painful..
You can add others like duckduckgo that not have trackers or make people add others

#3 2015-07-11 02:46:42

christian

I agree with what others have said. I'd like to make DuckDuckGo as my default search engine. I currently use the home button to get there, so preventing me from using the address bar just causes me some irritation. It's the one thing I don't like with this browser (other than lack of 1password support which is a deal breaker currently)

Thanks.

#4 2015-07-21 18:01:57

alok
Administrator

Unfortunately to add duckduckgo would be endorsing them and we can't do that.  We have had conversations with them about their privacy and it was insufficient for us to support them or work with them and maintain our commitment to privacy.

#5 2015-08-05 08:37:01

alok wrote:

Unfortunately to add duckduckgo would be endorsing them and we can't do that.  We have had conversations with them about their privacy and it was insufficient for us to support them or work with them and maintain our commitment to privacy.

In what ways is their privacy insufficient? That's their whole mission, like yours. Seems like it would be a perfect fit.

This is the single most painful thing about Epic Browser to me.

#6 2015-08-09 09:10:53

These instructions are for mac. I'm sure it's possible on Windows too.

1. Download a hex editor. I used iHex.
2. Open the Applications folder in Finder
3. Right-click on Epic.app and select Show Package Contents
4. Go to Contents/Versions/<version>/Epic Framework.framework/
5. Right-click on Epic Framework and select Open With.../Other... and select your hex editor
6. Search for epicsearch
7. Replace:

//www.epicsearch.in/search?pno=1&q={searchTerms}

With:

//duckduckgo.com/?g=123234232344&q={searchTerms}

8. Save, close and reopen Epic.

Note that the g=123234232344 in the replacement url is simply to make it the same length as the original.

DuckDuckGo is now your default browser!

#7 2015-08-14 06:06:35

no.name

So what about startpage.com aka Ixquick.com?
I think the are using the same concept as you do.

Regards

#8 2015-08-15 07:21:05

no.name wrote:

So what about startpage.com aka Ixquick.com?
I think the are using the same concept as you do.

You could replace it with whatever search engine you like, but it looks like startpage doesn't use query parameters for search (they use POST body for more security).

Board footer