Announcement

Epic for iOS and Android are live in the App Store and the Android Play Store. We're EpicBrowser on Twitter and on Facebook. Please feel free to also email our Founder directly with issues or questions: alok at hiddenreflex dot com

#1 2015-10-29 15:21:46

HELP ME (or not as the case may be) my virus is broken!

First, let me say what a great browser Epic is, even if built on Chromium. Here is how I know:

I think what happened to my computer was that my offspring blew past a screen while installing Steam, where it said: "Do You Mind if We Install ActiveDiscount Virus By Default?"

This virus/malware installs as some kind of rootkit and I can personally attest, cannot be detected by any antivirus or anti-malware or even anti-rootkit program (such as malwareybytes) or even by AV-CLS.

The way this virus manifests itself is by completely jamming the browser five to ten minutes after start-up, with a maximum volume oral message telling users they have got a virus (don'tcha know!) and contact some call centre in India immediately, hand over all your credit card information and if you are lucky, someone will 'take care of' something, which sounds ominous enough;      if you are stupid enough to believe it. Or to hand over credit card info to someone who is shouting loudly at you that (obviously) they have just installed a virus on your computer!

The bug jam up all buttons on the browser, jams up the volume control, and even manages to prevent Task Manager from closing the browser!  It also seems to cause Firefox to overheat the whole computer, but so many things cause Ff to overheat the computer until you reset it that it is difficult to know whether it is this malware doing it or if it is the browser itself.

Wile diagnosing the self-propagating virus, one of the things I discovered was that while it installs as a Chrome extension, it DOESN'T AFFECT EPIC!! You can go on using the whole computer as long as you like so long as you don't open Chrome.

Eventually I discovered that a two pronged approach disables the virus: Firstly uninstall chrome, Then run Zoek.

But I left Chrome uninstalled for a week or so, while I used Epic and now the virus, while broken is trying desperately to invade Epic. Epic opens (a blank screen, of course) at will every half our or so while the virus tries unsuccessfully to run.

Oh BTW, I then discovered that Chrome can be installed again and for the moment the ActiveDiscount virus (or whatever it calls itself in its 87th formulation) thinks it is attached to a Chromium-based browser and doesnt attach to Chrome again!

QUESTION: Is it worthwhile trying to get it to dissociate itself from Epic?  How long will its developers take to notice that zoek breaks their carefully and extensively-designed virus?

#2 2015-12-02 13:03:56

sathi
Administrator

Re: HELP ME (or not as the case may be) my virus is broken!

Great that Epic was at least initially not susceptible to it.  Epic does not allow any rogue extensions so that's why zoek couldn't at least initially get into Epic. 

If someone is doing a targeted attack against you, then there's no point working on Epic or some other browser because they could compromise software in many ways if they're in your system already.  You probably need to run a VM or run a system like Tails from a USB drive.  You need a new machine/o.s. then within that run a browser.  That would be my suggestion.

Board footer