Announcement

Epic for iOS and Android are live in the App Store and the Android Play Store. We're EpicBrowser on Twitter and on Facebook. Please feel free to also email our Founder directly with issues or questions: alok at hiddenreflex dot com

#1 2013-09-09 17:57:40

nonodenono

Limit amount of data leaking ?

If I have a look at https://panopticlick.eff.org/ , I see that websites can easily identify me, and thus track me.
The list of installed plugins and fonts together can identify me out of the 3.3M tested.
It would be great if Epic would only show a limited list of fonts and plugins, enough to fulfill the need of most websites.

#2 2013-09-10 02:52:52

micedwards

Re: Limit amount of data leaking ?

Yes ... I agree on this ... the list of fonts and plugins on my computer certainly identifies me uniquely.

Please find a way to deal with the panopticlick challenges.

These are known 'privacy busting' techniques and they are being used in the wild.

#3 2013-09-10 15:16:54

alok
Administrator

Re: Limit amount of data leaking ?

Fingerprinting via lists of fonts & plugins and much more is something we have looked into A LOT!!  We actually already have piecemeal solutions like handling plugin data, etc. ready to go. 

The problem is that there is a ton of data that can leak and multiple ways it can leak, and we really want to offer a comprehensive solution that effectively makes fingerprinting impossible.  One of the major impediments is Flash and particularly Flash calls to system fonts -- we allow Flash but since it's not technically in the browser, it's out of our control. 

We'll be working on this & please don't hesitate to work with us to solve these problems. 

In the meantime, Epic does block many, many fingerprinting scripts so you do have protection.

Board footer