Announcement

Epic for iOS and Android are live in the App Store and the Android Play Store. We're EpicBrowser on Twitter and on Facebook. Please feel free to also email our Founder directly with issues or questions: alok at hiddenreflex dot com

#1 2013-09-15 13:37:23

I2k4

Uninstall in Windows XP and 7?

I'm interested in Epic but need to know if it shares the uninstall problem I experienced with Chromium a year or so ago on my Windows 7 system.  Chromium did not show up in add/remove or Revo Uninstaller and I learned there was a weird cumbersome process to get rid of it, that I've forgotten now, and I'm still not sure I completely eliminated the rags and tags of it in the system. 

I have never had that problem removing Google Chrome on Windows, and have never had a problem removing Chromium from Linux / Mint installs on the same machines.  I very much like Chromium, including that it doesn't have the built-in links to Google.   But I was bothered by the way Chromium behaved on Windows 7 and resolved to avoid it on Windows.

Please tell me if you have tested Epic for ordinary uninstall using add/remove in Windows and if it's a complete uninstall.  Looking forward to trying Epic out, but will be holding off installing pending an answer here.  Thanks, I2k4

#2 2013-09-16 02:51:32

alok
Administrator

Re: Uninstall in Windows XP and 7?

Epic is a simple complete uninstall via the uninstall option in Epic itself.  In the Epic Menu at the bottom, there's an "uninstall" option.  This is something we built, not in Chromium.

Strange that Chromium didn't appear in add/remove program files - Epic should always appear there as well...but using Epic's built-in uninstall is much faster (than using Microsoft's add/remove).   

We hope of course you never uninstall Epic :-) .. but if you do and you ever need help, write us here.

#3 2013-09-16 11:14:38

wyatt

I am also wondering about the Un-Install.

Unlike the poster above, I have read MANY MANY complaints about Uninstalling Google Chrome.
Some were nightmares AFTER using Chrome's Uninstall process. 
Registry changes that weren't uninstalled, and many changes still there - that interfere with IE !!

(Google vs. Microsoft.)  It seems that Google did this (so-called Uninstall) to intentially disable parts of IE. 
Google Chrome users who don't want to revert back to IE,  never see the problem. 

But the folks who went back to IE or just wanted to use Chrome for a few websites, were shocked to find that AFTER THEY THOUGHT they had Uninstalled Chrome, that they now had many problems using IE - that they never had before ! ( hyperlinks in emails not working, parts of IE not working correctly etc. etc.) 

Some had to wipe their computers clean and re- install Windows to get rid of ALL the (secret) little pieces of Chrome distributed throughout their computer.

So I am wondering if Epic is COMPLETELY REMOVED with your Uninstall process ?
Have you CHECKED ALL the bits and pieces it installs and changes it makes, to see if they are gone after Uninstall ?

Does it make itself the "Default Browser" when it is installed?
Do you have to have a Epic Toolbar ?
How well does it work on My-Space or YouTube websites?  Also Switching back and forth with IE ?

Does it remove Everything it installed in the registry?

Thanks Much

#4 2013-09-17 02:41:59

I2k4

Thanks, Alok.  I'll give it a try on one of my systems.  Hopefully you'll follow up with an Ubuntu/Mint compatible version. 

Can't speak to problems identified by the other poster - I've normally used Google Chrome as a "silo" for Google's own services, which run best on it and collect data anyway, and not for anything personally identifying.  Never had a problem with Chrome in Windows.  But Chromium was a PITA that time.

Last edited by I2k4 (2013-09-17 02:42:38)

#5 2013-09-24 21:59:56

alok
Administrator

Sorry for the late notes here.

It does seem like Epic has similar issues on uninstall that chrome has with stuff left in the registry and parts of the installer.  Similar to what happens with Chrome - everything is innocuous according to analysts but we agree nothing should be there.  We're working on fixing this - again, we agree that on uninstall there should be no files left anywhere. 

There is no Epic Toolbar -- epic doesn't install anything into any other software or browsers (Firefox detects the epic installer as a plug-in, a quirk of both FF and Chrome, we're going to try to fix this).   

Myspace and YouTube should work fine - note though some users are having Flash issues, it seems Adobe is giving special updates to Google/Microsoft and it's wide-release Flash seems to be not always working for Epic users.  We've expressed our concern to all those companies about this, but without a response.  Most users have no issues with Flash though.

#6 2013-10-01 18:40:03

I2k4

Thanks for the further advice.  I never did install on Windows since I've been on Linux most of the time since this exchange. 

It would be helpful if once you've dealt with above issues, you post here.  I'll check again periodically.
Regards, I2k4

#7 2013-10-30 20:07:32

Muskrat

To all:

– for clean install/uninstall, you can use ZSoft Uninstaller (free);
– for Chrome, there exists a portable version, or you can use the PortableIron clone (both from PortableApps.com).

Hope that helps.

Board footer