Announcement

Epic for iOS and Android are live in the App Store and the Android Play Store. We're EpicBrowser on Twitter and on Facebook. Please feel free to also email our Founder directly with issues or questions: alok at hiddenreflex dot com

#1 2013-09-18 15:15:12

HighJingo

Desktop Icon

I use my PC for client support and frequently share my desktop screen with clients.  I keep the desktop very clean of icons to minimize the distractions and to decrease the amount of data sent during a sharing session.  Unfortunately, every time I run the Epic browser you place your icon back on my desktop and re-pin it to the task bar.  I need to delete them every time I interact with a client. This is unacceptable.  Please turn this off.

#2 2013-09-19 06:26:51

alok
Administrator

Re: Desktop Icon

Hi - we're working on this - sorry about that - Chromium's default is to place the icon there and we must be deleting some preference on-close-of Epic that resets everything (repins it).  Should be solved soon -- thanks for the feedback!!

#3 2013-09-19 14:45:45

sai

Hi,

Can you tell us your system configuration, we tried to reproduce this bug, but we could not produce this.

#4 2013-09-19 22:31:41

OSpencerO

I'm having very similar issues with Epic Privacy Browser however mine re-pins itself and puts another icon on the desktop even if I haven't used Epic Privacy Browser including after I restart my computer.
So, It isn't when I use Epic Privacy Browser it is happening randomly.
Here is my system configuration... "Link Deleted!"
Please, Let me know when you get it so I can delete the file.

Thank You,

Spencer

Last edited by OSpencerO (2013-09-20 12:02:35)

#5 2013-09-20 08:58:39

sai

OSpencerO, thank you for the help. You can delete the file now

#6 2013-09-20 12:08:33

OSpencerO

You're Welcome, sai

Hopefully, It Will Help.

Spencer

#7 2013-09-21 05:51:48

fauxwire

I'm having the same desktop icon problem.  It keeps showing up but I haven't been able to figure out what triggers it.  It doesn't show up on boot-up.  It doesn't show up when starting or closing the Epic browser.  I'll just be working on my computer for a while and then when I close or minimize a window there it is again - so I delete it again.  I also like to keep my desktop clean except for temporary files so it's kinda annoying.  I'll continue to watch this space for a fix.

I have Norton 360 so I went to the Startup Manager and disabled the "Epic Update" (EpicUpdate.exe) in the startup but that made no difference.  The desktop icon still showed up.

My system:  Dell Inspiron 530, quad CPU 240GHz, 6GB RAM, running Vista Home Premium with Service Pack 2.  The Epic Browser is my default browser - maybe I'll change it back to the old browser for a while and see if the desktop icon still pops up.  If that has an effect I'll report back.

#8 2013-09-22 22:44:31

alok
Administrator

Thanks so much for the additional feedback!!

We're getting really frustrated that we're not able to reproduce this problem but are hearing of it from many users!!  Also, the files we found that seem to control pinning/icons aren't deleted on Epic close - we're confused but working on this.

Hope to have this solved soon!!

Thanks as always for your support & thanks for your patience!

#9 2013-10-17 13:24:19

mas

I thought that I was having some kind of mental perception problem but the desktop and quick-launch icons keep re-appearing after deleting them.

Like OSpencerO had noted, I do not know when the icons appear.  It is not immediately after running Epic that it happens.  When it happens to me it is after being away from my PC for a while (e.g. overnight).

My system is a Win7 with SP6, 64-bit.

#10 2013-10-17 18:21:54

alok
Administrator

Sorry - forgot to update this thread. 

We've solved this issue, it's with the chromium installer - but updating the installer for older users is proving difficult.

We'd suggest you uninstall the current Epic - in the epic menu at the bottom there's an Uninstall option that will remove Epic in a snap - then re-install a fresh download of Epic.  The latest Epic shouldn't have any of those re-pinning issues.  Please ignore any errors when you re-install Epic - chromium sadly isn't the cleanest uninstall (we're fixing that too).

Let us know if that solves the issue.

#11 2013-10-19 08:45:12

222fbj

Same problem on Win 8x64.
Icon and Pin added automatically on boot.... very annoying.

#12 2013-10-25 07:15:41

alok
Administrator

Please uninstall Epic (there's an option at the bottom of the Epic menu), then install a fresh Epic from epicbrowser.com.  That should solve the problem. 

Sorry about the problem and this inconvenience.

Board footer