Announcement

Epic for iOS and Android are live in the App Store and the Android Play Store. We're EpicBrowser on Twitter and on Facebook. Please feel free to also email our Founder directly with issues or questions: alok at hiddenreflex dot com

#1 2013-12-01 10:17:09

nono95

adblock issues

Hi,

I noticed that epic browser blocks much less adds than opera+adblock.
For example it does not block the youtube adds.
I tried to add this list that is part of the opera adblock list : https://chromeadblock.com/filters/adblock_custom.txt but it was rejected.

Is it a bug or a feature ? (I know that the pluging adblock plus allows some adds)

Besides that epic seems to be promissing.

Thanks.

#2 2013-12-04 13:55:49

sai

Re: adblock issues

Hi, thanks for reporting. This is a bug.

#3 2013-12-10 08:44:52

alok
Administrator

We're working on making the ad-blocking more stable...if sometimes ads come up, try restarting Epic.  Please let us know if this continues. 

The list wasn't able to get added as it has some syntax errors.  Otherwise adding your own custom adblock lists does work in Epic!

#4 2014-04-13 18:18:23

nono95

I still have the problems with the new release.

#5 2014-04-30 16:30:27

domelo

I was aan adblock pro, but after having issues like this, I am going to consider anti-banner adguard sad

#6 2014-05-02 17:43:14

PerseidsGirl

I just started using Epic full-time and I see ads on almost every page I visit -- pop-ups and on-page. I would LOVE to use my AdBlock extension! Wouldn't use of AdBlock solve your problems too? Then, you could concentrate on other issues. AdBlock, AdBlock, AdBlock!

#7 2014-05-03 08:45:49

sai

Hi, Epic Filter also blocks ads.  Whenever you see ads, please try restarting the browser.  Let us know if that works -- Epic should block ads!  Thanks for your support.

#8 2014-05-03 12:29:36

domelo

PerseidsGirl wrote:

I just started using Epic full-time and I see ads on almost every page I visit -- pop-ups and on-page. I would LOVE to use my AdBlock extension! Wouldn't use of AdBlock solve your problems too? Then, you could concentrate on other issues. AdBlock, AdBlock, AdBlock!

Perhaps, you're right, but since I started using ad blocker by adguard.com, I never had a single chance to see any ads on any website. You can also try it to see the magic yourself.

#9 2014-05-03 12:32:33

domelo

sai wrote:

Hi, Epic Filter also blocks ads.  Whenever you see ads, please try restarting the browser.  Let us know if that works -- Epic should block ads!  Thanks for your support.

Sai, if we have to restart the browser every time with a hope to see that it will block ads, it means that there are certain issues into the mechanism you're using, isn't it? What if we are provided with a restart-free option that removes ads for free? Isn't that a viable option than that? I think you should better this restarting issue too.

#10 2014-05-09 15:48:55

sai

@domelo, you can also do a new Window, which also solves the problem.

Also we shall work on this reloading the Epic feature of blocking ads, while your browsing or open a new tab.

Thank You
Sai

#11 2014-05-19 13:00:04

NitrousO2

Yes, Epic is not blocking ads. I am getting ads and pop ups. Hope you guys fix it soon smile.

#12 2014-05-19 15:57:57

alok
Administrator

Hi Nitrous -- we're updating our AdBlock/the Epic Filter...  Also, if ads start coming up, the Epic Filter may have crashed -- so please try closing / re-opening Epic when that happens.

@Perseids Girl -- thanks so much for your post & enthusiasm!  Epic Filter is built on AdBlock...so we are basically using AdBlock!!  It should be working a bit better than it does...it's a bit unstable hence sometimes you may need to restart the browser, we're working on this.

#13 2014-05-29 05:41:26

Hi all,

I've just started using Epic (Version 34.0.1771.0 (243083)) on a Mac with 10.6.8 and am having a problem. I've been unable to block any and all adds. I've followed all suggestions above but to no avail.

Any and all advise would be appreciated.

#14 2014-05-29 07:06:59

sai

@george,

Please download the latest Epic from epicbrowser.com or update to the latest version. The update 2451 seemed to have issues while updating or installing a new one. We have updated to new version 2452.

Sorry for the inconvenience caused.

Thank You
Sai

#15 2014-07-04 00:25:35

z2so4

Been having issues with blocking ads all of a sudden. Done everything including uninstalling and re installing a fresh download of epic. Any ideas on how to solve this problem?

Thanks

Seems like there is now an app front for extensions, any chance of putting alternative ad blocking softeware on it, or alternative search (duckduckgo)?

#16 2014-07-04 03:42:53

sathi
Administrator

Hi z2so4,

Thanks for writing us and using Epic. We are sorry for inconvenience.

What exactly the problem with add block ? Is it crashing  or not blocking any adds ?

Are you using windows or mac ?

At this point we are not providing any alternatives to Epic Filter (adblock) or default search engines. Some times search engines and Extensions leak your privacy, so we are debating couple of things with these.

#17 2014-07-06 17:22:49

Hi Epic,

I've noticed that every time I add a subscription from the list and update them, the subscriptions I've added are removed/gone after closing the browser and reopening it after awhile.

I have to go through the process of re-adding the filter subscriptions again which was weird. I never had this problem until now.

THANKS AND MORE POWER!!!

#18 2014-07-07 07:27:30

sathi
Administrator

Hi Mephistopheles666,

Thanks for writing us, its weird problem. It's working from my end. Are you on updated one,
can you navigate to  %localappdata%\Epic Privacy Browser\User Data\Default\Extensions\ojmkmloghldahkpgloknaapbpembjija and let us know what is the folder name.

#19 2014-07-13 02:47:38

red.rocket

On a Windows 7 machine using Version 34.0.1841.20 (251262). About a month ago I noticed the adblock was no longer working on sites that were previously washed. I've downloaded and reinstalled 4 times and it's still not functioning properly. I shut down and restart and the ads still come through. What I don't understand is how could the adblock system work flawlessly one day and then just stop? I didn't update anything prior to the adblock system breaking.

#20 2014-07-13 14:23:00

rotorian

Hello, I have been using Epic for a long time.  In the past week, while I do not get pop ups, I am getting banner and other website adds.  Something is not working.  Here is my current version Version 34.0.1841.20 (251262).  I am using WinXP.

I tried to navigate to %localappdata%\Epic Privacy Browser\User  as given above but that directory doesnt exist that I can see.  Perhaps a different location?

Thanks for any help.
Regards.

#21 2014-07-13 16:35:29

grwatt

Hello I have used Epic for nearly a year (Win7) and it has just stopped blocking ads. Restarting does not fix it. I have already had to reinstall it twice in recent months due to Avast treating it as a virus so don't particularly want to go down that route again. Is there a fix?

#22 2014-07-14 07:28:55

sathi
Administrator

Hi grwatt,

Thanks for using Epic. We wrote to avast people to update their database.
Epic is very safe product. You can install any time ignoring avast warnings.
We got 4 stars out 5 from PC magazine.

#23 2014-07-14 19:28:00

greenjungles

I use Epic on a Mac (OS X 10.6.8) at home and a Win 8 laptop at work. Both versions are ineffective at blocking ads. None of the suggestions given by staff on this forum have had any effect (restart, which would have been a hassle anyway, latest version). I notice that this thread has been going since last December with no solution in sight. What's going on? Also, please add my voice to the list requesting integration with the DuckDuckGo search engine, a real winner in my estimation.

Another oddity is that I was unable to register for this forum using Epic; I got a refusal with a message saying that my email address was spam! Using the same credentials in Google Chrome, where I am currently, my registration was accepted. I want to keep using Epic but the ads and the sort-of-dumb search engine are minuses.

#24 2014-07-15 13:40:44

sathi
Administrator

Hi All,

We release an update for Epic Filter (Adblock), 

Feel for to write us if there are any problems with Epic Filter.

Thanks

#25 2014-07-16 08:44:15

sathi
Administrator

Hi Mephistopheles666,

Did the subscription problem solved for you ???

Board footer