Announcement

Epic for iOS and Android are live in the App Store and the Android Play Store. We're EpicBrowser on Twitter and on Facebook. Please feel free to also email our Founder directly with issues or questions: alok at hiddenreflex dot com

#1 2014-10-13 13:35:08

Epic No Longer Working With Archive.org

I have been using Epic to access the Wayback Machine at http://archive.org every day for the past several months. This past Saturday 2014-10-11 the website is now being displayed as unformatted text. To the best of my knowledge I have not made any changes to Epic and Archive.org is working with IE, Firefox and Chrome. Any suggestions?

#2 2014-10-14 08:40:39

sathi
Administrator

Re: Epic No Longer Working With Archive.org

Hi Michael.Ronayne,

Sorry for inconvenience, did you check other sites are loading properly.
I have tested from our end, archive.org loading fine for me.

#3 2014-10-14 22:42:34

There are no problems with any other website when accessed via Epic. Only Archive.org resources fail. I will try reinstalling Epic and also test from another PC.

#4 2014-10-15 06:32:52

alok
Administrator

Hi Stu,
Strange, archive.org is also working fine for me.   Sounds like the css file is not getting loaded...  Not sure why?!  I assume you closed/re-opened Epic -- that should do the trick!?   You could also try turning the proxy off if you have it on.

I don't think you should have to uninstall Epic. 

Let us know if anything works!

#5 2014-10-15 18:40:29

I first reinstalled Epic but retained the original data but that was un-successful. Next I requested that the old data be deleted during the reinstall and normal Epic operation was restored upon running Epic. I had 14 bookmarks installed, all of which involved the Wayback Machine which was the only thing that was atypical about my Epic configuration. Remember that the only thing which was not working in Epic was the Wayback Machine which uses Archive.org. I put all the bookmarks back, with some cleanup, and added 3 more so the number of bookmarks now stands at 17 links which isn’t very large. It is also possible that I overload Eric, which I discuss below.

For the last 6 to 7 weeks the Wayback Machine has had a lot of problems which have NOT been acknowledged on their website. From my observations as a user, the Wayback Machine appears to consist to two categories of memory: short-term and long-term. During the period of difficulties parts of the short-term memory would completely disappear, for periods spanning several day, from the “Browse History” display page which provides a graphic view of the Archive. Then very slowly, sometimes spanning 7 days, the missing content was restored, a task for which I give the Archive high marks. We tend to forget that with the Wayback Machine now operating in near real-time, it was not too many years ago that the update latency was 6 months and not 6 seconds.

When using the Wayback Machine, there are things I can do with Epic which I can’t do with any other browser such as running several dozen page archives in parallel. This may also explain how I shot myself in the foot if one of these tasks didn’t terminate properly. In keeping with Epic’s commitment to Internet Freedom, there are some interesting synergies between Epic and the Wayback Machine which I will discuss in another post in the product enhancements section.

How may parallel tasks can Epic support? The Wayback Machine can be used as web-proxy browser and I could launch a very large number of tasks if I put my mind to it.

Board footer